tyroneboman
tyroneboman, Mac Genius
Experience:  Computer specialist.
62741268

Its been disabled and asks to connect to itunes. when i do,

Customer Question

hi- its been disabled and asks to connect to itunes. when i do, it tells me its locked and to enter the passcode. but there is no dial pad to do this. i seem to be going in circles
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: hello? sorry thought i lost you
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?
Customer: im not sure - is there a way to check?
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: yes we to - then it asked for a password ***** my mother in law messed it up and now its disabled
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: tried to reboot, connect to itunes, tried to force the update, tried some recovery program but they all want me to unlock the ipad . But the ipad does give me the dialpad to do so but no restoring or wiping yet
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: lots of pictures on it - would rather not wipe if possible
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  tyroneboman replied 21 days ago.

Hi ,

My name is***** am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.

I will be glad to assist you with this.

Unfortunately, there will not be any way to retrieve the data and pics on the iPad. The firmware is in a corrupted state and will require a fresh install in order for the iPad to function properly again.

This sounds like you will need to restore using iTunes and you will need the iPad in DFU mode to restore.

Once in DFU mode the iTunes will not ask for the device to be unlocked.

Follow these steps please.

1. Plug your device into your computer.
  2. Turn off the device.
  3. Hold the Power button for 3 seconds
  4. Then exactly after the 3 seconds, press the Home button without releasing the Power button for 10 seconds
  5. Then Release the Power Button but keep holding the Home button(this will be at exactly 13 total seconds)
  6. Keep holding the Home button until you are alerted by iTunes saying that it has detected a device in Recovery Mode. If you are in DFU mode the iPhone screen will be back and the iTunes will ask to restore.