Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson,
Experience:  Training and Development at Scientifically Speaking
81238384

I have a very large aperture library. I have been running it

Customer Question

I have a very large aperture library. I have been running it from a 2T external hard drive to my Mac Pro 2010. I have not upgraded the computer to Yosemite for fear of having problems with Aperture. I made a new copy of my Aperture library (175,000GB) and wanted to run it on my macbook pro which has aperture installed, but is running Yosemite and appears to also be running Aperture 3.6. The hd copied from the Mac pro tower, will not even show up on the desktop, let alone open in aperture on my laptop. I think another hd did run on it in the past. Is this because it is the wrong upgrade or because it is too large to run on the macbookpro?
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Pro and what operating system are you running?
Customer: 2010. The OS before Yosemite I think. Unfortunately the Ram processor board has died on the pro and it is not here, but in the shop deciding whether to fix the expensive part or get another computer that I can't afford right now
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Not in the pro. The laptop I think did in the last few months because it is now on OS 10.10.5. and says that the aperture is 3.6
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: REading up. Plugging in the new HD. I have not upgraded intentionally the Pro because I don't want to lose the ability to use Aperture. Is it the same on 3.6 as on the previous version?
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Does this cost?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Justin Johnson replied 3 months ago.

Hi! I am Justin. Please give me a few minutes to go over your question.

I would suggest transitioning to another software entirely. Apple did away with aperture and so any support from apple is null at this point. With that in mind any time you open up an Aperture Library on a mac it need to be the current version that the library was created on or newer. If it is opened in a newer version of Aperture it will save in the newer version and there for will not work with an older version. 3.6 is the latest per the Apple release notes. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203265

As far as upgrading I do believe that Aperture will continue to work with every current version of Mac OS.

Also 10.10.5 is Yosemite.