Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I am my iMac's only user and of course the administrator of

Customer Question

I am my iMac's only user and of course the administrator of my device. My problem is that none of my passwords work as an administrative password, forcing me to sign in as a guest! Do you know a solution to this problem?
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Kevin T replied 27 days ago.

How's it going.
Let me read of your question. Give me a minute.

Expert:  Kevin T replied 27 days ago.

Have you changed your password *****?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Expert, Kindly opt- out. - Thanks
Expert:  Lorenz Vauck replied 24 days ago.

Is your problem solved already or why should the expert opt out?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Video Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
OK
Expert:  Ashik replied 23 days ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Do you still need help with this ?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Expert:  Ashik replied 23 days ago.

I will send you instructions to reset the password. The instructions depends up on the version of Mac OS you are using. What version of Mac OS are you using ?

If it is 10.7 or later, then follow the steps below to reset the password

Turn off your Mac by holding down the Power button for 5-10 seconds.

Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 10 seconds.

This will boot your Mac to "Mac OS X Utilities” menu.

Click on the“Utilities” menu in top bar and select “Terminal".

In Terminal, type(without space)--> resetpassword

Press return. This will bring Reset Password ***** Select the hard disk at top column,select the user account from the drop down under it, confirm the user account and then change password ***** Save. Then click on the Apple icon and select Shutdown.

Turn it back on. After restarting, if you get any message about Keychain then click Create NewKeychain.

If you are still getting keychain error, then reset the keychain access database. Follow the steps below to reset Keychain;

Go to System Preferences > iCloud and click Sign Out. If asked to keep or delete stuffs,click Keep. Then in Finder, hold down Option key on your keyboard, click on Go menu at the top bar and select Library. This will open Library folder. Trash Keychain folder in there and restart your Mac.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
No, it failed to work!
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I may take my mac to an Apple Store tomorrow
Expert:  Ashik replied 23 days ago.

If that didn't work, then you are probably using an older OS X on it.

We can boot your Mac to a special mode called Single User Mode. Then type some commands/texts there which will force your Mac to bring the new account setup screen. So you can setup a brand new admin account and then use that account to reset the password ***** your original account. This might seem a little difficult, but it is actually easy.

Follow the steps below to create anew User Account in Single User Mode.

• Turn off/shut down your Mac.

• Turn it on and immediately hold down the Command(Apple) and S keys together for 10 seconds to boot into Single User Mode

• When you see the text prompt, type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Administrator account (hitting return after each line). Also, note down the spaces between the commands, like a space between mount and -, space between -uw and / etc

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

(If it returns any errors after any command above, then you are entering the commands incorrectly. Make sure you enter it correctly)

When you enter last command and press return, the Mac will shut down. So turn it back on, you should be able to create a brand new Administrator account (when creating the account, if you're asked to transfer information, select Don't transfer)

Login to new account. Then in new account (which will be blank), go to System Preferences> Accounts or Users & Groups, select your old account and change/resetthe password. Then logout from Apple menu and login to the old account.

If you get any message about keychain, then follow the steps below to solve it.

Open Keychain Access, which is in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder.

From the Keychain Access menu, choose Preferences.

Click General, then click Reset My Default Keychain.

Authenticate with your account login password (the password ***** reset earlier).

Quit Keychain Access.

If you have any difficulty on following the steps above, please let me know and I will walk you through it.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Sounds promising! Ok, I will try it tomorrow.
Expert:  Ashik replied 23 days ago.

Ok, If you face any issues, please let me know and I will continue to help you. Remember, you have to write the commands exactly and correctly. Otherwise it will not work.

Best Regards,