Josh, Mac Support
Experience:  5 years as Network Admin, 10+ years of IT support
50836188

Have i phone 6. just seemed to lose a very important file on

Customer Question

hi. have i phone 6. just seemed to lose a very important file on my notes app. the one with all my log ins....can you help me retrieve it? thanks, don
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?
Customer: how do I tell?
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: just deleted a hospital based email account - I'm a doc restarting a private practice. didn't think my notes had anything to do with hospital email
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: none. contacted you first
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: is there cloud backup on notes?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Josh replied 3 months ago.

Hi!

iCloud does backup Notes.

Did you delete the entire Note or just information in the note?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
just one file in the Notes app
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'll defer on the secure remote for now. I hope you can tell me what to do. thanks
Expert:  Josh replied 3 months ago.

Click here: https://www.icloud.com

Sign into your account and click on Notes

You will see an option for "Recently Deleted" and the file should be in there.

Please let me know if the file is not there otherwise if you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as 3 stars or higher and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
not getting anywhere. can we discuss by phone?
Expert:  Josh replied 3 months ago.

Did you follow my steps above?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Getting stuck at Apple ID update page
Expert:  Josh replied 3 months ago.

I am not sure what you mean -- My steps above are for signing into your iCloud account; not apple ID updating.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
your link takes me to icloud set up and install...which I think I already have...can we chat by phone? thanks
Expert:  Josh replied 3 months ago.

The link will take you to a login screen where you need to enter your Apple ID and password

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
its requiring apple id update and I can't get past it...
Expert:  Josh replied 3 months ago.

There isn't an update -- I am not sure what you are referring to.

Take a look at my image attached and I have the area that you need to fill out in a black box

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have several times and it goes to update apple id screen.
can we talk by phone? my cell(###) ###-####
Expert:  Josh replied 3 months ago.

In order to speak by phone, you will need to send a phone call request using the premium services offer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How do I get that?
Expert:  Josh replied 3 months ago.

Do you see an option for premium services or additional services on your screen? It could be at the top or bottom of this page.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Just got to iCloud notes...my file isn't there. Is there a recycle bin on this phone???
Expert:  Josh replied 3 months ago.

Do you see in iCloud notes, on the left hand side where it says Recently Deleted?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No. This note document seems to have deleted when removing hospital email address. Is there a recycle bin?
Expert:  Josh replied 3 months ago.

No, that is the only available option through iCloud.com

The only thing left that you can try is to factory reset your iPhone then restore from a backup before you deleted the information.

To do that:

Go into Settings then General then Reset then Erase all Content and Settings

Once the reset is complete, you will be prompted to restore from a backup.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
what else might be erased though?do you think the note that was deleted when the hospital email was discontinued will be on whatever backup exists when doing factory reset?
Expert:  Josh replied 3 months ago.

Everything would be erased from your phone but if you backup your phone to iCloud, you can restore all of the information back onto your phone. With that being said, you can pick a date to restore back to so you can try using a date before the Notes were deleted.

I cannot speak on how the Note was deleted since I did not have the phone in my possession while it happened.

Expert:  Josh replied 3 months ago.

I have not heard back from you in a while -- If the issue is resolved, please rate our session as 4 stars or more and press Submit so I am credited with helping you otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.

Expert:  Josh replied 3 months ago.

I am checking back up on your about your issue. If the issue is resolved or you do not need anymore help, please rate our session as 4 stars or more and press Submit so I am credited with helping you otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.