kanoko
kanoko, Mac Guru
Experience:  5+ years of Mac expertise
65089077

I use OSX 10.4 I keep many of my photo folders on my

Customer Question

I use OSX 10.4
I keep many of my photo folders on my desktop. But many of them have become inaccessible. There is a little black arrow in the lower left hand corner of the icon for those folders. When i click on those icons a message appears telling me to "Go to the volume server or put in the disc."
What do i do to recover the files in those folders?
Thanks, ***** ***** Portland, OR
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  kanoko replied 29 days ago.

I would be glad to help. The folders with little black arrows are known as "aliases". This is similar to a shortcut on Windows. Those icons mean that they allow you access folders or files that stored in another location. I would first right-click on one of the "alias" icons you have and select "get info". In this new popup look for "Original" inside the "General" section. This should tell you where the actual folder or file is located.

Expert:  kanoko replied 29 days ago.

I suspect the actual folder is on an external drive, or you moved the folder after creating the shortcut. If you let me know what the complete path is in the "Original" section I can help you pinpoint where the files are.

Expert:  kanoko replied 29 days ago.

Or you can try finding the folder yourself if it is still located on your drive. You can use Spotlight Search by typing Command+Space or oyu can click the magnifying glass icon near your clock at the top-right of the screen. Just search for the folder name and if it is still on your local drive, you should get at least two search results: one for the "alias" you already have, and the other the actual folder you want.