Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

On my macbookpro 2011 ver osx 10.6.8 how do i download "Mac

Customer Question

on my macbookpro 2011 ver osx 10.6.8 how do i download "Mac OS Siarra" as it wont download direct from App Store, I keep getting suggestions that I dont understand?
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?
Customer: my current system is "os x Ver 10.6.8 (which I think is Snow leopard) and came with the Computer about 4+ years ago.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I cant remember.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have not done any troubleshooting (don't know how), I have only looked online and apple help support, are saying that i need to update from ver 10.6 to 10.7 but when I try this it keeps jumping to some other update most recent was 10.8.2, but when I try to install this it tells me I need Ver 10.7?
JA: I'm trying to find the right Mac technician for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know.
Customer: thank you
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have been very happy with the old ver, but recently I'v been told that I should update and now I'm sorry i started the process?
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 30 days ago.

Hi, welcome to justanswer.com! My name is Mike.

I am going over your question and I will be with you shortly.

Expert:  Mike replied 30 days ago.

So if you go here and choose Upgrade now: http://www.apple.com/macos/sierra/

Then when the App Store opens you choose Install what is the exact error message?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Same as before:- it says "this update requires OS X version 10.7 or later", so i'm back where I started?
Expert:  Mike replied 30 days ago.

Do you have your Snow Leopard install disk?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Not sure, but if i do its on the other side of the world to where I am now and in storage.
Expert:  Mike replied 30 days ago.

OK then you will need to purchase Lion before you can upgrade to Sierra certain older models require it: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion

Unfortunately you cannot upgrade directly from Snow Leopard.

If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. Thanks!!

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
OK if I can borrow a "Lion Disk", and install it again then what do I do?
Expert:  Mike replied 30 days ago.

I'm not sure what you mean, by "install Lion Disk again" I thought you were running Snow Leopard? Did you mean Snow Leopard Disk?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
sorry I'm getting confused by your earlier ref to "Lion", but I have been happily using "Snow Leopard" for years and just recently told I should be updating to "Sierra" and now I'm sorry I started as its not as easy as suggested, I mostly use my computer for word processing and Photographs. So I don't need or want to know everything about Computers, just simple advice as to what I need to do, in "Layman's" terms?
Expert:  Mike replied 30 days ago.

OK you have to purchase the Lion upgrade (below) and install it then you can get the Sierra Upgrade for free using the App Store:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion

Expert:  Mike replied 30 days ago.

If that is not clear enough let me know. Otherwise if you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Also please note we get paid the same no matter how long it takes to solve your issue, so bonuses are GREATLY appreciated. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. Thanks!!

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Hi Mike, thanks but I will have to order from Apple and get a Disk and as there is no Store near to where I live, it will have to be mailed to me, I dont know how long that takes so I will let you know when I know? Also I got an alert about my "Credit Card" being charged three times, I was only expecting a one off charge of $5, a total of nearly $50, any comments?
Expert:  Mike replied 30 days ago.

I see you have two questions open so that is probably the reason. I reported it as a duplicate, but the $5 is just the deposit. I have no access to your account, customer service would be happy to help you. Select the link below.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help