Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Oh Didn't think you would pop so fast, I have an older mac

Oh HI, Didn't think you would pop so fast
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?
Customer: I have an older mac with slow (the great desktop ones witch is running slow and I MOST concerned about my newer one, that won;t boot up all the way. New I id The Big Mountain One LOL 10.11.6
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Well the newer one is not able to, because It won't boot all the way. I just get to the grey Apple logo and the bar will only have way
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Yes, however I do not Unix for OS X to do from the black/green screen, also tried shift, command and searched blogsI believe we had a "virus" in our
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Well my mac that need to Booted is downstairs and I am on the older one right now.... What do would you like to handle this
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do I pay $25 dollars today and if I decide to take a plan, I will have to pay another plan fee in collusion with todays questions/help??

Hi, welcome to justanswer.com! My name is Mike.

I am going over your question and I will be with you shortly.

OK restart and hold the Shift key until you see the Apple logo. This will activate Safe boot and it will check the drive for errors among other things. It may take longer to boot and you may see a progress bar during part of the process. If it starts up OK… login then restart the normal way from the Apple Menu. Let me know after.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok it is 11/4/16 Ga, ET 4:009pm
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't think I need Securely connect just yet so NO

Right that was not me obviously I can't connect to a machine that won't start.

Did you follow those directions to Safe Boot? You never replied back?

I will repeat: OK restart and hold the Shift key until you see the Apple logo. This will activate Safe boot and it will check the drive for errors among other things. It may take longer to boot and you may see a progress bar during part of the process. If it starts up OK… login then restart the normal way from the Apple Menu. Let me know after.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was went Colorado for Daughter's wedding, just got back. I will try your idea of startup/shift. Then get back to you soon. Sorry I didn't respond sooner. Steph

OK

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Mike, the Shift Key safeboot did not work, it booted to the apple and the bar came up and then shut off again. So that approach did not work
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
16800047-580 Order ID; still not resolved..just fyi
Steph

Is that an iMac?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
one of the 27in or so ones

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Unplug the computer's power cord.

3. Wait fifteen seconds.

4. Attach the computer's power cord.

5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears. You have to do it pretty fast if you miss it just shut down by holding the power button for 10 seconds then start it up and continue with step 6).

7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts again at least twice.

8. Release the keys and immediately hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. If you can't get to that menu just hold the power button for 10 seconds until it shuts down. Then start it up again holding those keys. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go.

When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) and then on the right select the First Aid tab then select Run.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok I'll try that

Let me know

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did what you said and this is the info I got back from my iMac:
[Running First Aid on Macintosh HD]
First Aid Processed Failed
If possible back up data on This volume; Don't continue
Fusion Macintosh HD
Disk images
OSX Base SystemSo does that mean I have to reinstall the original software? Or what do think?
Steph

You do not have any option to Repair?

Do not reinstall until you repair or erase the hard drive, that will just make it worse.

Are you still there?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What does no option really mean? I can reinstall the original operating system can't I?? I have the original disks
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
repair ..is that something I do? Or is it just simplier to just erase
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have most of what want on my other mac backed-up by 2T byte Time Machine
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm still here if you can respond, otherwise whenever you get a chance. Thanks! You have been very helpful and patient with me so far. I do appreciate that. Steph

Yes if you have a backup you have to erase the drive and reinstall if Repair was not possible.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
In this case I didn't bother backing anything up, nothing was much on it since it was a newer one I had, just didn't use it that much. I have a very awww Gypsy life these past 3yrs. So what do you advise? re-install original OSX platform? (from my original discs)

No if you can boot to Recovery HD (Command R on boot) open the Disk Utility then choose Macintosh HD and Erase, then quit Disk Utility and Reinstall Mac OS X.

If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Also please note we get paid the same no matter how long it takes to solve your issue, so bonuses are GREATLY appreciated. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question for no extra charge. Thanks!!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry Mike I have not put a high priorty in between your very informed and help Tech skills. You really know what you are doing and will use you again in the future. (But the next time I won't not space out my response time, I promise).
I haven't reinstalled the software yet, but will probly today or tomorrow using your helpful instructions.
Also, what if I need advise on a new pending Apple pc or etc product and help with a question or two? Do you do that as well? I think my credit account was billed $30 dollars, however, I have to find out if that subscription type thing or individual help ticket. Either way I will request you in the future. I feel you are very efficient and well versed in the issues that come up, as well, you communicate in easy to understand way in your instruction. Most sincerely, ***** *****

Thanks you please let me know how it goes. If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Also please note we get paid the same no matter how long it takes to solve your issue, so bonuses are GREATLY appreciated. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question for no extra charge. Thanks!!

To ask me questions in the future please post your request here: askmikethemacmedic.com