Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

All of a sudden, my email on macbook pro doesn't

Customer Question

all of a sudden, my email on macbook pro doesn't work…..getting the 5.7.8 authentication error message…..the only thing I did just before this problem is update my iPhone iOS!
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Pro and what operating system are you running?
Customer: 10.7.5
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: must be 6 years plus i think the Java update?
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: not much yet just frustrated entering passwords
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope…….is this a fee-based service? i was just browsing for answers and your chat popped on screen
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  tyroneboman replied 30 days ago.

Hi ,

My name is***** am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.

I will be glad to assist you with this.

What is the email address?

You can reply to me here by typing in the box below please.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
You there?

Yes, try this please.

Open Apple mail preferences. Click on the Mail menu then select Preferences. Select the Accounts tab then select the email account, then update your password.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
I tried that. This is Entourage 2008 for Mac v12.3.6
  1. In Entourage for Mac, on the Tools menu, click Accounts >

2. Choose your account

3. On the Edit Account page change the password.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
I've tried that, I don't think you can change it there.
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
I enter a new password ***** receiving and then tried both selections in smtp

Open Entourage and then click "Entourage" from the menu bar. Select "Account Settings" from the drop-down menu to open the Accounts window.

Click the "Mail" tab and double-click on your email account in the box below. The Edit Account window opens.

Click the "Account Settings" tab and locate the Password ***** in the Receiving Mail section.

Replace the entry in the password ***** with a new password. Click "OK" to save your changes and set your new Entourage password.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Randy, that is exactly what I have done multiple times. Tried restarting already. I'm not a computer expert, but I'm pretty familiar with the Macs. Been a long time user. Any other ideas?

you can make sure that you are entering the correct password. Go to iCloud.com and sign in.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
my ID and password ***** correct. I can see all of my emails. Something impacted entourage. The two things I did just a day before this happened, was update Java (auto update), and just updated my iPhone to iOS 10 when it asked me on screen.
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Sorry, it's 4am and I need to sleep. My problem has not been resolved. Do we continue tomorrow? No offense, but I didn't get past the standard stuff that I already tried. I may need to request a refund if that is possible. First time ysing justanswer, so not sure how this works. Thanks for trying.

okay,