Russell H., Long-time Computer Expert
Experience:  Years ago & in 2 years recently, I helped with Mac OS [X] & MacBook & Air & BootCamp etc. problems.
13568747

My daughter spilled a small amount of water on her Macbook.

Customer Question

My daughter spilled a small amount of water on her Macbook. It's not working now - won't switch on. No response at all. Any suggestions?
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook and what operating system are you running?
Customer: It's only 12 months old. Macbook Air - whatever operating system came with it.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I don't think she has.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just holding down the power button. The usual control/alt/delete. That's all
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

It is urgent that it be deprived of power at once, and that it not be turned on for at least 3 days, preferably 5 days.

Have her unplug it, and also remove the battery (if that is removable in her model of MacBook... this is a crucial step.)

Then have her leave it, open, and in a dry dust-free warm place, for at least 3 days undisturbed. Preferably 5 days to be surer.

When circuitry gets wet while powered On, damage occurs. If not thoroughly dried before any power is applied to it again, damage will be more extensive or quite thoroughly destroy the laptop's functions, in the worst case.