Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have a MacBook air, do I need to have a Anti-virus

Customer Question

I have a MacBook air, do I need to have a Anti-virus program
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Air and what operating system are you running?
Customer: It is an early 2015
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I think apple sent an IOS does that sound right
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: just what is with the Mac
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

There are not much viruses for Macs like Windows. Macs are virtually invulnerable to viruses out there (there are some adwares out there though). You really don't need any Anti Virus for your Mac. They are just selling the anti virus for money. As long as you don't install any applications from untrusted websites, you will be fine. Virus usually affect the root system files and your Mac will not allow any programs to modify or access the root system files without your permission. To install any applications that access root files, it will ask for user account and password. Don't allow permission to apps that you don't trust, like the apps trying to download automatically from internet.

Also as long as you do regular software updates from Apple, you will be fine as Apple releases security updates frequently.

However, just download and scan using this application on your Mac, AntiMalware application --> https://www.malwarebytes.com/antimalware/mac/

This is to remove unwanted adwares from your Mac if you accidentally installed anything on your Mac.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask