Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Consultant within every computer and networking category. Troubleshoot and maintain various operating systems. Sales Engineering.
63493917

Powerpoint 16. Had an open file that had been saved. Power

Customer Question

Powerpoint 16. Had an open file that had been saved. Power was lost. When I rebooted Powerpoint, I figured auto recover would help me out, but it didn't. Then I went to "recent" and the file was listed there, but when I tried to open it I got a "the file has been moved" message. Have already looked in the user / library section and there are no saved files. This was many hours of work and it was saved with a regular save -- now it's gone. Nothing in deleted files either. Got any suggestions?
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng? I'm trying to find the right Mac Technician for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Thank you. Running El Capitan on an iMac, new model.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Beyond looking in the library folder in the application support area where the auto recover files are supposed to be saved, not much. Obviously I tried to search in spotlight but the file doesn't show up.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that should do it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, and Thank You for choosing JustAnswer.com
My name is ***** ***** I am reviewing your question now, please stand by for 1 or 2 minute for reply.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks, Alex.

If you open PowerPoint up again.

YOu might be able to see the recently saved or recently opend files.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Did that. It was listed under recently saved. I tried to open it. It said "file has been moved". I searched with spotlight, the file does not exist anyplace. It no longer pops up under recently saved.

Im looking for this option, as you arent using the regular version of Powerpoint......your using powerpoint for MAC.

.

PP is a microsoft program.....and Apple and microsoft......are...well...enemies.....lol.....or direct competitors.

The fact that microsoft even made a Mac version of their office tools.....is quite unique to begin with.

.

So.....did you save the file to a cloud or network drive?

okay....you already know......did you save the file to a cloud or network drive?

whee did you initially save the file?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The file was saved to the local hard drive. It was initially saved last Friday, before I left for the weekend.I am aware that Mac pushes keynote but until this version of PP there's never been an issue with location an auto recovery file. If they stopped having the autosaves, that's on MS not Apple.

A file (which had already been saved) was open.....power was lost......file is not located.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The computer was left on until the power outage which occurred sometime over the weekend. There should have been an autosave somewhere along the line.

yeah.....not only that.....but the file should also still be there, that was originlaly saved.

.

did you have a backup done in that same span of time?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Nope.

There is a recovery tool for power point files (PPT) that is availabale for mac.

Care to try it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I tried "Wondersave" and it said it was going to take 99 hours to search the drive...is this like that?

ive never used Wondersave.....so....i dont htink so.

I mean its going to take time to search the drive......thats a given.....no way around that.....but 99 hours.....seems a bit excessive.

How big is the drive?

the drive has to be searched, so yeah that is similar.....i dont know how else you find things without searching....lol

Let me know what your results are.

also please take a moment to rate, at th etop of the page.....as that is how we get credit for helping you.

Thank you.