Pete, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of computer experience, CISCO certified
30970729

Imovie won't stay open, Sierra, yes couple of days ago it

Customer Question

imovie won't stay open
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?
Customer: Sierra
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: yes couple of days ago it did automatic update..
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I am lame...i tried removing from dock and reinstalling...
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just need to make a 90 second video for my old tennis coach who is dying and i need to send it by tonight...i want to use old pics
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Trashing iMovie's preference file will often fix problems like this.

Go to your User folder Library/Preferences (not the Library folder at the top level in Macintosh HD). If you are on Lion (Mac OS X 10.7) or Mountain Lion (10.8), the User Library folder is hidden. To access it, click on Go in the Finder menu bar, then press the Option key - the Library folder will appear in the drop down list.

In the Library/Preferences folder, locate a file named "com.apple.iMovieApp.plist". With iMovie closed, drag this file to the Desktop. When next opened, iMovie will create a fresh preference file with the default settings. If iMovie now runs OK, you can change these settings in the menu item "IMovie>Preferences" if desired. Also, it's now safe to drag the old preference file to the Trash. Trashing the file will not harm your existing Events or Projects.

Then try opening iMovie and try creating your video again...

--------------------
Your satisfaction is my priority;
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back at any time if you need any further assistance at all.
Pete.
--------------------