Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years
32989067

I have a Mac desktop that always seems to be freezing and

Customer Question

I have a Mac desktop that always seems to be freezing and crashing... What can I do to fix this?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you do the following please

Power off the mac

Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.

Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window

choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.

Click the First Aid tab.

Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").

Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello there Richard!I am so sorry that I am only just now getting back with you - unfortunately - I caught a nasty cold that kept me down for a few days, and I am only just now getting back up and going again... Sorry about that!!Thank you for the detailed instructions with this - I am going to perform all the steps that you included now - and will report back immediately after they are finished.... (Hopefully it will only take a half hour or so!)Thanks again - Be right back!
~Kelley
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok... So I finished all the steps per your instructions - but at the very end there wasnt a "repair" option - Only a "restore" option.... I've included a pic of it...What should I do??Thanks!
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

ok, hop you're better!

The issue there is the disk is not mounted, click on mount and then run the repair again please

Let me know how you go

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hey there Richard - Thanks for your quick reply. For some reason, my Mac is still not doing so well... After following your steps, it is still unfortunately incredibly slow - which leads it to freezing then ultimately crashing... Once it boots up, and I sign on to it, there is a very limited amount of time before it will crash - just simply logging into my Just Answer account and posting this reply is asking a lot from it... (lol) I appreciate your time and help - I think it is beyond anything that can be done by me at this point, and I should probably just take it on in. Thanks again!
~Kelley
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

Try the following Kelly

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Find Command (⌘), Option, P, and R on your keyboard.
  3. Turn on your Mac.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
  5. Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
  6. Release the keys.

How does it then operate?