Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have an ipod 5 which has been synced to my computer's

Customer Question

I have an ipod 5 which has been synced to my computer's iTunes music library. I typically play 1 of 8 playlists that have approximately 150 songs featuring about 75 different artists on each list. I have always set the playlists up to play the songs in alphabetical order, but the new software insists on playing in random order. The only way I can get the lists to play in the desired order is to play them on the computer. How can I get the ipod to play in the desired order?
Another problem I have which may or may not be related is the popped up messages I keep receiving on the ipod which badger me to back up my ipod on icloud. I see the value in that, but can't that requirement be satisfied by backing up my iTunes computer library to the icloud? If so, how do I do that? The ipod 5 is not conducive to typing long passwords with fat fingers, but my key board is. HELP please!
Paul Finch
Las Cruces, NM
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.

Hi, welcome to justanswer.com! My name is Mike.

I am going over your question and I will be with you shortly.

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.

Connect your iPod to your computer and then open iTunes.

Click the drop-down arrow to the left of the name of your iPod beneath Devices on the left side of the iTunes program window.

Click the name of the playlist that you would like to change.

Be sure that the "Shuffle" button in the lower left corner of the iTunes program window is turned off. The Shuffle button comprises two overlapping arrows, and is blue when the feature is enabled and grayed-out when the feature is disabled.

Click the name of one of the songs you want to move, and hold the mouse button down.

Move the cursor slightly to reveal a black line either above or below the song, which indicates where it will be placed in the playlist order if you were to release the mouse button at that moment. Continue moving the cursor until the black line is located where you want to move the song, then release the mouse button. The song will appear in its new location, and the playlist will quickly re-sync with your iPod.

Repeat Steps 5 and 6 until you are satisfied with the new order of songs in your playlist.

Click the "Eject" button to the right of the name of your iPod once you have finished making changes to the playlist. After the name of your device disappears from the list, you can safely disconnect it from your computer.

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.

Did you try that?