Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Consultant within every computer and networking category. Troubleshoot and maintain various operating systems. Sales Engineering.
63493917

Mac, Not that I am aware of. Its basically a new Mac and

Customer Question

Hi Andy
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: Mac
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Not that I am aware of. Its basically a new Mac and only 3 months old
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want to know how I can take information from a website each week and have it automatically upload into a Quark X press file. I know it can be done, but dont know how
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, and Thank You for choosing JustAnswer.com
My name is ***** ***** I am reviewing your question now, please stand by for 1 or 2 minute for reply.

Are you talking about an RSS feed that some websites have enabled, that you can get data from on a regular basis?

Or are you referring to some other data you want to capture from the website?

Is it text? is it a file?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am talking about taking data from a website each week, and that data is put into a Quark X Press file, with the click of a button. The information would purely be data

well I KNOW its going to be data.....what else could it be?

What I'm asking....is what FORM the data is taking?

Do you have to capture text? (this would be in the form of plain text) or are you capturing a file? (this would be in the form of a file that has attributes such as file extension)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Text only

What data are you wanting to capture.....can you give me an example......can you SHOW me an example?

okay....sothe task would be to SELECT the text needed.......copy and paste it to a quarkX file.

Sounds simple....but you will likely need to create a script, or multiple scripts.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I would like to take the text from this http://websites.sportstg.com/comp_info.cgi?c=1-114-0-363631-0&pool=1001&a=LADDER and various other tables from the same website and import them into a quark x press file
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't wish to cut and paste. I would like the process to be automated. I am not sure if that can be done or not

yeah the copy/paste WOULD be automated.....it wouldn't be a manual process.

See....you would write a script that does the following tasks.

Open browser.

navigate to website, enter the URL in address bar.

use the positioning metrics to position the copy parameter. like longitude and latutude for a website.....select the text, and copy

Open new project/file for QuarkX

Paste clipboar data

Save file ( using basic metrics, like the date and time for the file name)

Close quarkx,

close browser.

.

hat is the progression of the scheduled tasks and scripts that would need to take place.....or very similar to this, some deviation would be expected.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for that. What type of person should I employ to do the task. Would they be a computer programmer, or Quark expert, or having knowledge of HTML or python code?

a task of this nature....you kind of need a mix of talent.

Somebody who has mastered scheduling tasks on a mac.

somebody who has mastered scripts.

somebody who has HTML and quark familiarity.

Probably take a couple people to accomplish the task.

One being an expert in the task scheduler, and script creation and ofcourse testing and debugging.

and another person to take that data captured and enter it into quarkx file .

again might be using scripts too.

So.....it probably wont be a single person....but rather a couple people collaborating.

But that doesn't mean a single person could NOT do it.....its just rare to find somebody with that broad of a skill set.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for that. I will search around.

I honestly think a small executable program written specifically for this task in a common language.....say C+, or just C.

there would e a lot of interdepnddencies that would go along by using multiple scrits and tasks.

So...I would reccomed you find a software developer......they have a team of people who can tackle this and spit you out a custome program that does what you want......and is all inclusive.

That would be better, that a bunch of scripts.

a custom program that allows you to adjust the metrics.....like the amount of times the data is captured....daily....hourly.....weekly...etc.

A script would be locked in.....and not easy to adjust.

Also, a custom program could be created in such a way, that it allows the user to make changes on the fly if needed.....in a user friendly way....unlike scrpits.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your kind assistance

Your welcome;

Please take a moment to rate so can get credit for the question

Thank You!