Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro
Experience:  I have been working in Technology since 1997, and have a special affinity for Apple devices.
93256567

I just downloaded Sierra onto my iMac. Since then, when I

Customer Question

I just downloaded Sierra onto my iMac. Since then, when I open Mail I get a gonging warning sound--and I don't know what for. When I open Firefox or Safara, I get the same sound AND in the search bar, dots type on and on and on............ What the heck is going on?
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine? I'm good. And you?
Customer: Quite a bit. Some years.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Yes, as I said Sierra
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I don't know what to do
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just want these two problems solved
Category: Mac
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 4 months ago.

Hi! I'm Eric, a Mac expert who's been paired with you through JustAnswer.com. I'm reviewing your question now, and will return w/ an answer soon!

It sounds very much like MacOS thinks you've got a "stuck" key on your keyboard. Are you using the Apple Wireless Keyboard? If so, let's try to re-pair the keyboard and see if that helps.

To do it: turn your keyboard off, and then pull its batteries. Leave it in this "off" state for a full minute, and then replace the batteries and turn the keyboard back on. Your iMac should automatically re-pair with the keyboard. Did that resolve the issue?

If not, we can try to reset the SMC:

1. Shut down the Mac.
  2. Unplug the power cord.
  3. Wait 15 seconds.
  4. Plug the power cord back in.
  5. Wait 5 seconds, then press the power button to turn on the Mac.

If it's *still* misbehaving after resetting the SMC, we can reset the NVRAM. To do it:

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on your Mac.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
  5. Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
  6. Release the keys.

(After resetting NVRAM, you may need to reconfigure settings for speaker volume, screen resolution, startup disk selection, and time zone information.)

With any luck, one of the above steps will resolve this problem for you. If not, please know that we're committed to helping you resolve this issue...simply return to my.justanswer.com to give us an update, and we'll continue troubleshooting with you until we get this fixed!