David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc H.Dip Apple Certified Professional
39216975

The touchpad on my MacBook Pro seems to be either sticking

Customer Question

Hi - the touchpad on my MacBook Pro seems to be either sticking or has lost its sensitivity.
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Pro and what operating system are you running?
Customer: About 3 years old and running MacOS Sierra
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Yes - a couple; updated to Sierra and then the latest update to that sysytem
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Nothing - since it's seems to be a hardware probelma and I'm covered with Applecare, I thought it best not to touch anything.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I think that's it. Thank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** to Just Answer. I am reviewing your question and will reply ASAP.

Expert:  David replied 1 month ago.

The top surface of the trackpad is a thin layer of glass, and it could be that there is a thin layer of oil on it. I would recommend cleaning it with a lint free cloth and some screen cleaner, or a screen cleaning cloth for cleaning LCD screens that you can get from a computer supply store.

If this does not resolve the issue then it could be a software issue.

Reset the PRAM. Shut down the MacBook.

Start and immediately hold Command-Alt-P-R keys together.

Keep holding those 4 keys until you hear a second startup chime and release them.

Now test the trackpad responsiveness.

If the issue is the same please get back to me. Let me know if it is the same in all applications by testing it with a few different applications.

Thanks in advance.

Expert:  David replied 1 month ago.

Hi, have those steps worked? If not please get back to me, we will look at the issue in more detail. Thanks!