Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

OK so I downloaded Sierra ( dumb I know ) I am unable to

Customer Question

OK so I downloaded Sierra ( dumb I know ) I am unable to access any of my iPhotos.
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?
Customer: Sierra for a couple of weeks
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: When I try I get a message to say one of a few things - either this is not available in Australia or my Apple ID is not accepted because the product was bought by someone else or returned. Neither of these are the case.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I am a Dinosaur \
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No just to be able to access my photos would be great, I am not very good with trouble shooting.........too old!!!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

The problem is, Apple has replaced iPhoto with new application called Photos app from OS X10.10.3 onward. You can open Photos app from Applications folder. Photos app does support your old iPhoto library. So you will be able to open Photos and see all the photos that were in iPhoto.

Open Applications folder and you will find the Photos icon (a flower like icon). Open it and it will import your iPhoto Library automatically.

If it doesn't, then close Photos. Hold down Option key on your keyboard and open Photo. Select Choose Library, then from the list of library select iPhoto Library and choose it. This will migrate the iPhoto Library to Photos.

Please let me now if you have any difficulty, so I will continue to help you.