Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years
32989067

My macbook pro screen has just started to flicker mildly and

Customer Question

My macbook pro screen has just started to flicker mildly and displays thin blue vertical lines in certain boxes (like the one I'm writing in now).
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Pro and what operating system are you running?
Customer: its a 2008 and it is running latest operating system
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: not in the last week
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: just a power off and restart
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you do the following please

Shut down your Mac.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
Turn on your Mac.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
Release the keys.

Then tell me if it resolves the lines and flickering please

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No that did not change anything.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Thanks

Power off the mac

Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.

Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window

choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.

Click the First Aid tab.

Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").

Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I ran first aid on Macintosh HD and the problem remains,
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Thanks

It is the LCD panel that has faulted. The controller is not communicating correctly with the Segments on the screen and this is why it flickers and gives the lines

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the mac to have the panel replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Just to make sure we are on the same page I've attached a screenshot on the problem. Look right?
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

yes, as the issue is with the actual screen (the physical part of it) so you will not see the issue in a screen shot

Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Actually, you can see it. Notice how in the dialog boxes the background is very light blue? If you zoom you'll notice that it is actually very thin vertical pinstripes. It's also in the upper left box with the little glasses and book icons. Behind the actual letters and your picture there is a white background. Usually these light blue areas are all white.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

I zoomed in all the way and see none of this at all.

Send it to another device, eg: or phone and view the screenshot there.

As the lines are only on your screen, they do not appear here

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok thanks.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Your welcome

It is an issue with the actual screen, 100% as the screen print is perfect here

Let me know if you need anything else please

and please remember the service rating

Thank you