Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Changed my router today. To extend my wifi I have an Airport

Customer Question

Changed my router today. To extend my wifi I have an Airport Express in the kitchen & another in the lounge. The lounge unit is an old style Airport Express that plugs directly into the wall. Both are not working and I guess they need setting up again. My Airport Utility doesn't see the two extending units. Grateful for your help. Mike
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?
Customer: Using the latest, Sierra 10.12
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No not recently, I note there is a OSX update but not done that yet.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Unplugging. Bringing the unit closer to the computer.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thats about it, Thx.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  tyroneboman replied 1 month ago.

Hi ,

My name is***** am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.

I will be glad to assist you with this.

You will need to reset each of the Airport Express first.

1. Disconnect the station's power cord.
  2. Press and hold the reset button with a pen, pencil, or straightened paperclip. While continuing to hold the button, reconnect the power cord. Keep holding the reset button until you see the status light (LED) start to flash amber rapidly, which should occur after about six seconds.

Then open AirPort Utility (On a Mac, choose Go > Applications from your desktop, click the Utilities folder, then open AirPort Utility. In Microsoft Windows, choose Start > All Programs > AirPort to start AirPort Utility).

1. Select the primary Wi-Fi base station in the Base Station Chooser, then click Continue. Note: If you see a message appear that indicates that the Wi-Fi base station has been reset, click Cancel to continue.
  2. Click Manual Setup. Enter the base station password ***** necessary.
  3. Click AirPort in the toolbar.
  4. Click Wireless.
  5. Choose “Create a wireless network” from the Wireless Mode menu.
  6. Select the “Allow this network to be extended” checkbox.
  7. Enter a Wireless Network Name.
  8. Optional: By default, Wireless Security is set to None so that no password ***** be required to join the network. We recommend you click on the Wireless Security menu, select WPA2 Personal, and create a password ***** 8 and 63 characters long.
  9. From the Radio Channel Selection menu, select Automatic.
  10. Click Update.
  11. The next window may indicate that there are some problems. Resolve the problems, then click Update.

You are now ready to add extended Wi-Fi base stations to your network.

Configuring an extended Wi-Fi base station

1. Place any extended Wi-Fi base stations within range of the primary Wi-Fi base station
  2. Ensure that all 802.11n Wi-Fi base stations are powered on and allow them time to appear in the AirPort Menu Extra
  3. Open AirPort Utility (On a Mac, choose Go > Applications from your desktop, click the Utilities folder, then open AirPort Utility. In Microsoft Windows, choose Start > All Programs > AirPort to start AirPort Utility).
  4. Select the Extended Wi-Fi base station in the Base Station Chooser, then click Continue. Note: If you see a message appear that indicates that the Wi-Fi base station has been reset, click Cancel to continue.
  5. Click Manual Setup. Enter the base station password ***** necessary.
  6. Click AirPort in the toolbar.
  7. Click Wireless.
  8. Choose “Extend a wireless network” from the Wireless Mode menu.
  9. Choose the network you want to extend from the Network Name menu.
  10. Enter the network and device password ***** necessary, then click Update.

The next window may indicate that there are some problems. Resolve the problems, then click Update.