Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have a MacBook Pro which ran Snow Leopard (OS 10.6.8).

Customer Question

I have a MacBook Pro which ran Snow Leopard (OS 10.6.8). Specifications areI upgraded the system to Sierra, via El Capitan. Everything works ok. Al the extra 'stuff' appears
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Pro and what operating system are you running?
Customer: The Chip is 2.3 GHz Intel Core 15. Memory 5 GHz. It is slow to start and open software. Also the startup screen shows a tiny snow leopard picture and a miniscule place to enter the password. Then I get a slow moving black line as the machine starts. Is this just the consequence of loading a new system onto an older machine?
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Sorry. I lost your reply. Coius you repeat it. Thanks
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Ive downloaded and installed all available updates including Sierra version 10.12.1, but no trobleshooting.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: What troubleshooting is available?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Your Mac's chip is powerful enough to handle the latest Sierra. This is probably some other issue and we need to figure it out. First we can Disk Utility and see if it works or not. Turn off your Mac by holding down Power button for 10 seconds. Then turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 20 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS X Utilities screen. From there, click Disk Utility. Select your hard disk at left column (Macintosh HD or hard disk name). Click First Aid button and run it. Repair if asked.

Then restart from Apple menu. If that didn't work, then turn it off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command, Option, P and R keys at the same time for 5 seconds, then release the keys and immediately hold down Shift key for 20 seconds. This will boot into desktop running some repairs. Then restart normally.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I opened disk utility as you instructed. I selected the hard drive, first aid and repair. There seemed to be nothing wrong with it. Should I now carry out your second option?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

Yes, please

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm now getting the Sierra Startup screen (the mountain range). I want to stop there and see how everything else works. Please refund my $5 and delete the credit card information from your system. I will then complete your rating.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

I don't have access to any of your credit card details to cancel myself. I'm only a tech in here. For that, you have to contact the customer support at***@******.*** to cancel it.

Best Regards,