Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Had to restore from time machine as sierra upgrade was

Customer Question

had to restore from time machine as sierra upgrade was corupt now getting no entry sign , tried two time machine restores following apple support advice
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?
Customer: Sierra , it wouldnt let me revert to the original mountain lion
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: yep Sierra
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: all , disk verify comes back clean , nram scm etc
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 month ago.

Hi, welcome to justanswer.com! My name is Mike.

I am going over your question and I will be with you shortly.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 month ago.

Can you boot to Internet Recovery? Command Option R

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sorry can connect
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
To internet when I was paying iMac hung on safari page so now answering from iPhone
Expert:  Mike replied 1 month ago.

OK then I suggest you erase the drive and install new system, make a new test user account then upgrade to the latest system version if needed and then use Migration Assistant to bring your account over from your Time Machine backup

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
go into disk utility and erase volume and start from fresh
Expert:  Mike replied 1 month ago.

Right but use Migration Assistant do not restore at the end of installation.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Still cannot get iMac up and running managed to get mountain lion installed but failed with recovery disk partition size trying again basically a dead mac currently
Expert:  Mike replied 1 month ago.

Sorry I don't understand that.

So you booted to Internet Recovery erased the drive and then installed Mountain Lion? Did you choose the device to erase and not Macintosh HD as I instructed? What happened after that?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It responded with recovery space not correct and when I restarted got attached just hangs and when I tried to restart nothing but the spinning cog
Expert:  Mike replied 1 month ago.

So is that what you did or not? I am still not clear... can you explain in more detail? What did you do and what happened and in what order? Remember I am not in front of your computer. I have no idea what procedure you followed at this point.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did as u said erased volume ran verify and repair just in case
Then installed mountain lion
That returned an error saying OS X cannot be installed as recovery system cannot be created apple support advises changing size of partition that didn't solve it tried reinstalling and that failed again when I now try and invoke internet recovery I'm getting the spinning cog
Expert:  Mike replied 1 month ago.

When you booted to Internet Recovery did you choose the whole device to erase not Macintosh HD. The very top item? You have to erase the whole device because you have a newer Recovery partition installed

Expert:  Mike replied 1 month ago.

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Unplug the computer's power cord.

3. Wait fifteen seconds.

4. Attach the computer's power cord.

5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.

7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts again at least twice.

8. Release the keys and immediately hold Command - Option - R

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yep got grey progress bar and globe and into recovery what's next as I'm out of ideas sorry this is taking so long regards dennis
Expert:  Mike replied 1 month ago.

When you get to Disk Utility choose the very top item on the left (not Macintosh HD) and then name it Macintosh HD and Erase. Then quit Disk Utility and install.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's named apple hdd st1000dm003 media
Expert:  Mike replied 1 month ago.

Yes it could be named that

Expert:  Mike replied 1 month ago.

You select Erase and you rename it

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry how do I rename as it's not allowing edit
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ah thanks it's confusing but now installing completed but now getting flashing question mark !!
Expert:  Mike replied 1 month ago.

Please tell me exactly what you did. So you were able to Erase and rename it Macintosh HD then you installed? Restart and hold the Option key until you see a list of boot partitions. Do you see Macintosh HD listed? If so choose it to boot from

Expert:  Mike replied 1 month ago.

I don't see how you could have installed that fast it has to download from the internet ...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've got high speed broadband 20mbs download I'm on fibre
Expert:  Mike replied 1 month ago.

OK I have 150MBS and it still takes longer than that normally, wierd... So did you reboot holding the Option key do you see Macintosh HD?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Mike I've got a six am start so I'm calling it a day I'm in the uk it's 23:30I'm reinstalling lion again onto macintosh he went over the steps again I'll update u tomorrow thanks for all your assistance thus far and I will pay don't worry about that !
Expert:  Mike replied 1 month ago.

I'm not I just want you to get you up and running. It really would help if you make sure and answer my questions when you reply, thanks good night.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm wondering whether it went to local copy its now 8 mins from completion from internet
Expert:  Mike replied 1 month ago.

It could not have done that because you erased the drive. See that's what I mean you just told me it finished installing and you had a flashing question mark.. now you are installing again? Did you reboot and hold Option as I instructed? You should just wait for me to reply before doing anything or this will take forever...

Expert:  Mike replied 1 month ago.

I have a feeling you mean it finished downloading and it restarted it did not finish installing right?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Getting getting the flashing question mark ?? I'm off to bed
Expert:  Mike replied 1 month ago.

WHEN are you getting that did you install it or not or did it just download and restart. If so HOLD THE OPTION KEY. You are only telling me the errors and not what you did....

Let me know tomorrow. I made an offer to do a phone call and I think that will help a lot