Pete, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of computer experience, CISCO certified
30970729

Just upgraded to El Capitan and Quark keeps quitting HELP,

Customer Question

Just upgraded to El Capitan and Quark keeps quitting HELP
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: APPLE
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: WON'T LET ME
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: THAT'S IT
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

What version of Quark are you using?

Have you rebooted the computer a few times?

Does Quark crash during launch, or whilst you are using it?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
quark15 crashes while using it. I'll try rebooting.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Let me know if rebooting helps.

If it doesn't, the unexpected quits can be caused by insufficient memory.

Let me know if it always quits when you try to do the same thing, or if the quitting is more random.

You can also try the following steps:

1. Disable all your extensions and control panels by restarting your Macintosh while holding down the Shift key. Keep the Shift key down until you see the message "Welcome to Macintosh. Extensions off."

2. With extensions off, try reproducing the unexpected quit. If the unexpected quit does not occur, then one of the disabled items may be the source of the problem.

3. Restart your computer and allow all the extensions and control panels you normally use to load. Then use one of the following methods to isolate the problem item:

* You can systematically disable extensions and control panels using the Extensions Manager Control Panel. To do this, open Extensions Manager and create a new group. Systematically uncheck each item or group of items. Then, restart the computer, and try to reproduce the unexpected quit until you isolate the problem item.

* If you don't have Extensions Manager, you can troubleshoot the items in your Extensions and Control Panels folders by systematically moving items (by groups according to alphabetic order or label color) from these folders to folders on the desktop. Restart your computer after an item is moved, and try to duplicate the unexpected quit. Continue troubleshooting each item until you isolate the one that is causing the quit.

4. When you isolate the item that causes the unexpected quit, reinstall it from its original install disks and attempt to recreate the quit. If the old copy was damaged, no unexpected quit will occur. If the quit still occurs after reinstallation, then the extension or control panel may not be compatible with the current versions of the System or Quark.

5. If the unexpected quit is isolated to an extension which is responsible for accessing fonts, the problem may be related to a font rather than to the extension itself.

Let me know how you get on....

--------------------
Kindly rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back at any time if you need further assistance.
Pete.
--------------------