Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

MacBook Pro not allowing access due to forgotten Keychain

Customer Question

MacBook Pro not allowing access due to forgotten Keychain password.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Keychain password ***** ***** as your admin or login password. Did you try your admin or login password ?

If that didn't work, then try your iCloud password. Let me know how it goes

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

If that didn't work, then you can reset the password ***** booting into Mac OS X Utilities screen and then reset keychain.

Follow the steps below to reset the password.

Turn off your Mac by holding down the Power button for 5-10 seconds or from Apple menu.

Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 10 seconds.

This will boot your Mac to "Mac OS X Utilities” menu.

Click on the“Utilities” menu in top bar and select “Terminal".

In Terminal, type(without space)--> resetpassword

Press return. This will bring Reset Password ***** Select the hard disk at top column, select the user account from the drop down under it, confirm the user account and then change password ***** Save. Then click on the Apple icon and select Shutdown.

Turn it back on. After restarting, if you get any message about Keychain then click Create New Keychain.

If you are still getting keychain error, then reset the keychain access database. Follow the steps below to reset Keychain;

Turn off your Mac. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Shift key for 20 seconds. This will boot into safe mode. Then go to System Preferences > iCloud and click Sign Out. If asked to keep or delete stuffs, click Keep. Then in Finder, hold down Option key on your keyboard, click on Go menu at the top bar and select Library. This will open Library folder. Trash Keychain folder in there and restart your Mac.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.