Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I downloaded the new Quark - Non-Profit version yesterday

Customer Question

Hi I downloaded the new Quark - Non-Profit version yesterday afternoon on to my new Mac OS Sierra Version 10.12. It crashes everytime I open it. Is it because I am waiting for the verification of our Non Profit status? We have work with Quark before with no problems.
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: It is new to me as of yesterday. But I have worked with Mac computers for 15 years and with Quark for at least that long.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: There was a Quark update so we downloaded that
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that is all that I know of
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mr.med. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue, What is the version of your Quark software please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Quark 10
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

Please Try Rebuilding Preferences in QuarkXPress :

1. Force Quit out of QuarkXPress.

2. On the Finder level, go to the Hard Drive > Applications > QuarkXPress folder.

3. Inside the QuarkXPress folder, create a new folder by going to File > New Folder

4. Label the new folder Preferences (use an upper case P).

5. Restart your Mac computer and Launch QuarkXPress from the QuarkXPress folder.

Let me know the results

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is quark 2016 with the latest updates on Mac Sierra 10.12. I will try the Preference suggestion. The Mac is brand new, this is a new install of Quark and it has never worked since installation. It crashes, exception type EXC_BAD_ACCESS, code KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000068, EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY. I will try your suggestion, but looks like we will need to contact them directly if this doesn't work. Thanks.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

If the problem persists please reply abck to me and i will gladly continue to help

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No did not work
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

Please try one of these solution

Solution 1 :

Close all programs. Open Finder and click on Go to Folder Enter in ~/library and Press enter, Go to Preferences. Then move the Quark folder to the Trash, Restart the Mac and test.

Solution 2 :

1-Start your Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.

2-Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window

3-choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.

4-Click the First Aid tab.

5-Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

6-Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").

7-Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Solution 3 :

Uninstall QuarkXpress , restart your computer and redownlaod/reinstall the program. (Make sure you have your licence key product and a backup of all you QuarkXpress files )

Thank you

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

Has everything worked out please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No.., still cannot even launch quark
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

Have you tried all the three solutions?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

Let me open your question to other experts

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I doubt it.., and I have a question on charges... Why was I charged $5 and $35
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

As far as charges, 5$ would be the initial authorization, combined with the other charge that would be the full cost of written support if written support is successful. Due to the nature of the internet companies like ours have to ensure there are funds that could be paid, should our support attempts turn out to be successful.

if you do not want to continue, you will be entitled to a full refund.

Now, as far as the quark issue, what I can say is I am very familiar with Quark installs on Mac OSX based systems, including Sierra. The install error has nothing to do with your non profit status. If it was a non profit license issue, then quark would start and give you a specific error about Quark not being registered / activated properly. It would not just crash. With that being said,

If you would prefer, this is something I could fix for you directly, via a screen sharing session on your mac. Would you like to try that?

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No I do not wish to continue
Thank you
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

Understood.. In that case, the link below may be of interest to you.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund-0

Dustin S.