Pete, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of computer experience, CISCO certified
30970729

I have OS X El Capitan 10.11.6. Wireless Apple keyboard

Customer Question

HI,
JA: Hi. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: I have OS X El Capitan 10.11.6. Wireless Apple keyboard batteries low nofification. Batteries changed correctly with POS facing out. Now can't reconnect keyboard. No green light shows. Bluetooth status ON and wireless mouse is working. HELPPPPP!
JA: What's the make and model of your computer? And have you had problems with this keyboard in the past?
Customer: Have changed keyboard batteries in past and I don't recall this problem.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Not on my desktop. I am dashed to update to macOS Sierra but haven't installed yet. My cell (iPhone 5) has been recently updated.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I put the old batteries in since they were working, to no avail. The new batteries are back in. I shut down the computer but did not unplug it. Even replacing the old batteries did not turn the green light on.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Do the replacement batteries make a tight fit?

There is a plastic ring moulding that can sometimes fall out and prevent the battery making a good connection - can you check for this?

Try putting some pressure on the battery cover and see if the green light comes on?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Nothing seems to help. Should the caps lock light work even if the keyboard is not connected? Mine does not light up.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Please switch to secure remote assistance.