Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have trouble opening my iphoto, os 10.12, it says that i

Customer Question

Hi I have trouble opening my iphoto
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?
Customer: os 10.12
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: it says that i have to update my iphoto inorder to open
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: but when I signed in with my apple ID and tried to update it, it says that I cant do so because it was bought by a different user or was cancelled
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no this is all
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

The problem is, Apple has replaced iPhoto with new application called Photos app from OS X10.10.3 onwards. You can open Photos app from Applications folder. Photos app does support your old iPhoto library. So you will be able to open Photos and see all the photos that were in iPhoto.

Open Applications folder and you will find the Photos icon (a flower like icon). Open it and it will import your iPhoto Library automatically.

If it doesn't, then close Photos. Hold down Option key on your keyboard and open Photo. Select Choose Library, then from the list of library select iPhoto Library and choose it. This will migrate the iPhoto Library to Photos.

Please let me now if you have any difficulty, so I will continue to help you.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

Hi there, I'm just checking. How is it going ?