Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My ipod touch is disabled and i need to restore it but it

Customer Question

my ipod touch is disabled and i need to restore it but it says there is an error so i cant restore. what do i do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Isaac Franklin replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

What is the make/model of your ipod?

What exact error message are you getting?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the model of my ipod is the 5th generation. its says there is an unknown error so it cant restore. the error code is 3194

When you get the restore error, are you connecting to a computer to restore it from a previous version?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
itunes has an update but i havent updated it yet.

That will usually cause that error. Are you using a mac for this?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no im using a sony

A sony? Do you mean windows computer? Sony is just a brand

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the operating system is vista.

Thank you. This is for windows pcs:

Step for Windows System

Step 1. Open iTunes app on your PC.

Step 2. From the Menu bar, Click on Help

Step 3. Choose Check for Updates. In earlier version of iTunes you can find this option in the Advanced Menu bar.

Try to restore the ipod again after syncing.

Try the restore again. This could be handled several ways and need more troubleshooting.

Update me with the results when done with these steps.

If you are satisfied with the help I have provided, please remember to click and submit a 5 star rating on this page. Your feedback is important as it is the only way I am credited for assisting you. Thank you.
~Franklin

Would it now allow the restore or do we need to do more troubleshooting?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i updated itunes and then ive just started to restore my ipod again then another error came up and said it cant restore because i have a passcode on my ipod.

Here is the problem, you cannot do a back up and restore if you do not remember the code

as this method asks for it for a 'backup'. You may have to go into recovery mode and reset the ipod

as new.

Follow these steps to restore your device:

1. Verify that you are using the latest version of iTunes before attempting to update.

2. Connect your device to your computer.

3. Select your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch when it appears in iTunes under Devices.

4. Select the Summary tab.

5. Select the Restore option.

6. When prompted to back up your settings before restoring, select the

Back Up option. If you have just backed up the device, it is not necessary

to create another.

7. Select the Restore option when iTunes prompts you (as long as you've backed up,

you should not have to worry about restoring your iOS device).

8. When the restore process has completed, the device restarts and displays the Apple

logo while starting up:

After a restore, the iOS device displays the "Connect to iTunes" screen. For updating

to iOS 5 or later, follow the steps in the iOS Setup Assistant. For earlier versions of

iOS, keep your device connected until the "Connect to iTunes" screen goes away or

you see "iPhone is activated."

9. The final step is to restore your device from a previous backup. If you do not have a

backup to restore or have forgotten your restrictions passcode, then restore as New.

If that method of recovery doesnt work and you followed it completely, you have to skip to step 9.

You can try particular steps such as this video before you do that. But, it is not always effective.

But, you can try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GqPqRs2xs4

~Franklin

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the video you sent ive tried doing multiple times before and it still doesnt work. i also cannot find the summary tab on the itunes page.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

Hi Kyla. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

The problem is, your iTunes is trying to load an old and already downloaded firmware/software to iPod and that is why you are getting that error. So we have to delete that older firmware first. So iTunes will download the latest one.

In Desktop, press Windows and R keys. This will bring Run. Type %appdata% and press enter. Open Apple Computer folder, iTunes folder, and delete all files from iPhone Software Updates, iPod Software Updates and iPad Software Updates.

Then you have to restore it by putting it to DFU Mode. Device Firmware Mode or DFU is a method that allows you to over ride the disabled screen and get it restored.

Connect the iPod to your computer with the USB Cable.

Open iTunes application on your computer.

On your iPod press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time.

After EXACTLY 8 seconds release the Power button. Continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPod in recovery mode.

Click OK or Restore

Note : Put it to DFU Mode while connected to computer and also in DFU Mode your iPod will remain blank and will be unresponsive. It is normal. If it is not showing blank/black screen, then repeat the steps again. Timing is critical when you put it to DFU Mode. So keep trying until it goes to DFU Mode. And it will take a while to restore it.

Remember, it may take a while to restore the iPod (the iOS firmware has to be downloaded,you will see the Download button - a downward arrow button with spinning circle around it, at the top right corner of iTunes screen. Click it to see the time remaining)

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem.