Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years

I was just looking for some information as my aiport

Hi Pearl, I was just looking for some information as my aiport timecapsule has started dropping the internet connection after about 6 months of successful use
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?
Customer: El Capitan
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Not that recently
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Turning it on and off generally resets it but it seems to be happening more and more frequently so I was looking into the overall set up but that wouldn't explain why it's happening all of a sudden
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The time capsule is running as a separate wireless network to the router which is located in another part of the house, it's connected to the original hub via a wall socket ethernet adapter.

Hi there and welcome

The wall socket Ethernet adapter, this is one that runs via your powerlines?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.

These will be the most likely cause for the issue, are you able to as a test, bypass these and run the router direct to the timecapsule to rule out these as the cause?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Is there a way to do that wirelessly or would I have to do it via a physical ethernet cable?

No, it has to be via the wired connection to act as a wireless point.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I can do that briefly but the only issue is that the internet dropping is very intermittent and it can be several hours between drop outs but others times it's only minutes, I'm using the TC network at the moment and it's been fine. Is there a way to confirm this with out a lengthy test?

No sorry, as you need to see if it drops out so we need to test it this way

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok i guess i could re-locate the time capsule so it's beside the hub but the signal where I will be testing from will be pretty weak, will that matter?Also, do you know how the ethernet adapters could become a problem if they've been working for the last 6 months without any issues and no changes have been made?

Thats ok, but move your computer closer to if ig you can.

The adapters can be the issue, or interference on your electrical network can also cause problems, that's why we rule this out first

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
OK thanks for explaining that. I'll re-locate the time capsule now.This will be probably be quite a lengthy process, how will I be charged for the support?

You pay per question, not on time or messages.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
OK thanks, ***** *****'t used the service before so I wasn't totally sure how it works.I'm moving the time capsule now.Thanks for your help with this.

Thanks, ***** ***** know the results please.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
OK I'll get back to you once I've had some time to test. Thanks.

you're welcome

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi Richard,hope you're well.After several days of testing the Time Capsule has had 100% internet connection up time when plugged directly in to the router/hub.Does that mean that I will no longer be able to use the ethernet wall adpaters and need to keep the Time Capsule where it is beside the router or is there a way to troubleshoot the problem further?Thanks again for your help.Cheers,Felix.

Hi Felix

It means the devices are faulty or you have interference on your power grid.

I would first have the devices replaced and see if this corrects it.

If not, there is interference on your power cables at the location. You can start by unplugging all electrical devices except of course the computer and related devices, then see if this resolves it.

If not you may need an electrician to come in and see what the issue is with the power there.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi Richard,Thanks for the feedback on that and for figuring out what the issue was so quickly so I didn't go through the whole process of changing network settings that wouldn't have made any difference!Thanks again for your help.Best regards,Felix.