Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I want to uninstall Sierra. I have a MacBook Pro and things

Customer Question

I want to uninstall Sierra. I have a MacBook Pro and things are not going well. I had El Capitan as my prior os
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Pro and what operating system are you running?
Customer: MacBook Pro late 2011, just loaded Sierra os
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Sierra os
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: None, I just want to uninstall.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

It is not very easy to downgrade to El Capitan or lower version from Sierra.

For that you have to download a copy of El Capitan or previous version of OS X from App Store, then create a USB bootable drive using a third party application named Disk Maker, erase the hard drive and install from that USB rive. You can only download El Capitan or previous version from App Store if you have downloaded them before.

After creating a bootable USB drive, boot your Mac to that USB drive and then you have to erase the hard drive to install El Capitan or previous version. This process will delete everything from the hard drive and install a fresh OS X. So you have to backup all your important files to an external hard drive first manually (copy and paste) before you do this.

Follow the steps below to create a El Capitan or lower version OS X drive.

1 - Backup all your important files to your hard drive. Open App Store application from Applications folder

2 - Click on Purchased tab and if you see El Capitan or previous version, then download it.

3 - Then download this application Disk Maker to create a bootable USB drive --> http://diskmakerx.com/

4 - After creating the USB drive, connect it to your Mac.

5 - Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Option key on your keyboard and this will bring Startup Manager (disconnect and reconnect the USB in this screen)

6 - From Startup Manager, select the USB drive and press return and this will boot into OS X recovery screen.

7 - Select Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select you hard disk in left column and then click Erase under Erase tab. This will erase the hard disk.

8 - Then close Disk Utility and click Install Mac OS X and follow the onscreen instructions to install that version.

If you don't see El capitan or lower version of OS X under App Store, the above steps will not work and you have to make a El Capitan or lower version drive from another Mac running El capitan or lower version using the above steps. Or you can buy the 10.11 El Capitan drive from here --> http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OS-X-RECOVERY-USB-10-12-10-11-10-10-10-9-10-8-10-7-10-6-Sierra-El-Capitan-/301923921250?var=&hash=item464c116d62:m:mLlosdI3cc62uoGzVHKykuw

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.