tyroneboman
tyroneboman, Mac Genius
Experience:  Computer specialist.
62741268

I am trying to restore my backup from my MacBook to my new

Customer Question

I am trying to restore my backup from my MacBook to my new iPhone 7. I just used the iTunes password ***** days ago but i keep getting an error message that it's incorrect. I double checked it in the keychain (keyword iTunes passcode) & verified it is correct. I am stumped as to what it wants. Thank you
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook and what operating system are you running?
Customer: I believe it is 2009 & Yosemite
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Yes
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just any password ***** can think of. I don't have knowledge of anything else
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thank you for asking
Category: Mac
Expert:  tyroneboman replied 2 months ago.

Hi ,

My name is***** am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.

I will be glad to assist you with this.

Are you using the same Apple iD and password ***** the iPhone7 that you use on your Macbook iTunes?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you & No, the keychain had a different passcode than my Apple ID.

okay, the Apple ID password ***** ***** one that is required on the iPhone.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've tried that one....so I need to change it in the keychain on the Mac?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I mean I tried that one and it didn't work. Do I need to update to that in keychain and try again?

the only way to use the back up is if it is connected to the same apple id that was used when the back up was created.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
T-Mobile had me sign into my phone using the same Apple ID & password. The problem is that the Mac is asking for the iTunes passcode....which isn't the same thing. I had to enter it when backing up to my computer 2 days ago. My Apple ID didn't work so I searched for it in the keychain. I used the one listed and it worked to backup my previous phone. Now the same request for iTunes passcode and same passcode from keychain isn't working.

okay, that sounds like you have two different accounts.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I checked both iCloud and iTunes and both take the same email and password. However, I just tried again on the Mac and still gives me error message that passcode is incorrect.

okay, is the icloud and itunes username email address the same as the iphone?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How do I check on the Mac?
  • Select Apple menu > System Preferences > iCloud
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
both iCloud and iTunes on Mac are same as phone. Tried again; didn't work��

For itunes account info,

open iTunes, then click on account in the menu, then choose view my account.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did; it is correct
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I received a pop up from Apple that it cannot read my phones system and to do a factory reset

okay, did you use the Encrypt Backup feature?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's not currently set but I did when I did the backup

okay, the encrypted back up will ask you to use a different password ***** you choose the option. Do you remember typing a different password *****?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just clicked it and it's asking me to create a password. I don't remember a password ***** popping up 2 days ago. It is very possible that my tired brain thought about clicking the encryption but never actually did it.

Go to Preferences from the iTunes toolbar. Then select Devices. If the backup was encrypted, you will see a lock next to it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it is locked. Since it is asking me to create a password ***** the encryption I just tried 2ce to create a password ***** the encryption but it isn't allowing the ones I chose to be se
  1. From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen or at the top of the iTunes window, choose iTunes > Preferences.
  2. Click the Devices tab.
  3. You should see a to the right of the name of your device, along with the date and time that iTunes created the backup.
  4. The keychain should have the password ***** for that back up if you checked the keychain box when it was backed up.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, it says (correctly) my last backup to Mac was October 4th, but there isn't anything for that date. The last backup before that was April 15th, 2015. I accessed the encryption passcode (very, very long and I didn't set it) copy & paste - that didn't work either.

When you try to use a backup and you see a message saying "The password ***** entered to unlock your backup was incorrect." This message means that the iTunes encryption option was turned on. If you dont have the password ***** if it is not in your keychain, you will not be able to use the back up. There isnt a workaround for the passwords.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, thanks for trying.

your welcome!