Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My MS Word locked up on a VERY important document and is

Customer Question

My MS Word locked up on a VERY important document and is frozen in spell check mode
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?
Customer: The New one os Sierra
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Yes it updated last night
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I can't do anything on it. Just a spinning rainbow
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes I can't loose this document!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Sorry about the issue. If it is frozen, then I'm sorry you have to force quit it. There is no other way to unfreeze it and no way to save the document now. But if the Auto recovery functions is turned on, then Word will recover and open the document automatically next time you open Word. Press Command, Option and Esc keys and this will bring Force Quit. Select Word, Force quit and open it. Does it open the document ?

If not, then check the Autorecovery folder. In Finder, click on Go menu and select Home. Then open Documents folder. Open Microsoft folder and open Auto recovery folder. If you see any files there, then rename the files (to rename, select the file and press return key to bring the selection on name) and add .docx or .doc at the end of the file name and then open it with Word. Do you see your document ?

There is also one more place to check.If you are lucky, you may find a backup in here. In Finder,hold down Option key, click on Go menu and select Library. From Library, Open Application Support folder, open Microsoft, open Office folder. Open Office Auto recovery folder and do you see them there ?

If not, then it is too late now. There is no other way to get it back if it is not in that folder.I know you are looking for a way to get it back, but the fact is, it is gone. Apologies for the bad news.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask. Let me know the results please.

If you are not satisfied with the answer or outcome, please don't rate me bad or poor. You don't have to rate anything if you are not satisfied and you can ignore the rating requests from this site.