Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I'm in the disk utility screen but everything that I'm

Customer Question

I'm in the disk utility screen but everything that I'm supposed to select to repair it is grey and I can't click on it.
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?
Customer: I'm pretty sure it's Mountain Lion
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No, and I think that might be the problem
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: My screen would freeze when it looked to be updating. So I did the command+R and it popped up the utility screen.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I've tried to reinstall the Mountain Lion OS X and it doesn't have a disk for me to choose when I get to that screen.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 month ago.

Hi, welcome to justanswer.com! My name is Mike.

I am going over your question and I will be with you shortly.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 month ago.

OK restart and hold the Shift key until you see the Apple logo. This will activate Safe boot and it will check the drive for errors among other things. It may take longer to boot and you may see a progress bar during part of the process. If it starts up OK… login then restart the normal way from the Apple Menu. Let me know after.