Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I try to install Flash player on a Mac running OS 10.10.5

Customer Question

I try to install Flash player on a Mac running OS 10.10.5 and it fails to install. I do have avast on my computer, but I took it out of Apps and placed it in an untitled folder, hoping that it would nullify its presence. I''df like to keep it because its good for some checks...unless you suggest something preferable
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: Some. I don't know how else to answer the question
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: no updates, to my recollection, but not certain
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: none to speak of except for the removal of the Avast app form the app folder
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: If there is any malware on this machine, I am unaware of it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 month ago.

Hi, welcome to justanswer.com! My name is Mike.

I am going over your question and I will be with you shortly.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 month ago.

NO that will not deactivate Avast. I can help you be remote.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 month ago.

First we must check some things:

Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. If you can't get to that menu just hold the power button for 10 seconds until it shuts down. Then start it up again holding those keys. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go.

When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) select the First Aid tab if it is not already selected, then click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 month ago.

Are you there?