Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Mega backup keeps showing up on my laptop screen saying I

Customer Question

Mega backup keeps showing up on my laptop screen saying I have all sorts of issues and junk, etc. Im unsure if is something that I should try? or is it just spam?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your laptop, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: Mac book Pro running OSX El Capitan
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Do not do anything Mega backup ask you to do. When did you install Mega backup ?

Do you need that application ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't remember installing, which is wondering if it is something I should try?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

No, you don't need that unless you want to save all your files of your Mac to cloud storage of some backup company. Do you want that ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
THis is my fear of subscribing to something that is no good?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

The main advantage is, If you subscribe to it, then it will backup all your stuffs to online and you can restore your files from that backup if anything happens to your Mac, like hard drive failure or if it is stolen. You won't lose your files.

But there are two problems with online backup. All your files on the online server and if anyone hack it, then they can access all your stuffs. Second issue is, it will constantly use your internet connection to backup the files to cloud/online server.

I'd prefer to use offline backup services like Apple's own Time Machine app which is an backup app to backup your entire Mac to an external hard drive regularly. This doesn't use internet and you can backup or restore files any time without any subscription or without paying anything. I'd always prefer offline backup.

What do you prefer ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
offline, I think
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

Then lets uninstall Mega Backup. In Finder, click on Go menu and select Applications. You will find the Mega Backup application there. Just move it to Trash. This will uninstall it.

Then you can start doing offline backup. For that you need to buy an external hard drive (a 2TB capacity). When you get the external hard drive, connect it to your Mac, then open Time Machine application from Applications folder (or from System Preferences > Time Machine). Then enable backup and this will backup your Mac regularly to that external hard drive. Refer this article --> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

I also want you to download and run a scan on your Mac with Malwarebyte AntiMalware application --> https://www.malwarebytes.com/antimalware/mac/

If your Mac is affected with an adware or malware, this application will remove it.

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

Hi there, I'm just checking. How is it going ?

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as Excellent or 5 stars and click Submit at the top of this page. Then only I will get credit for helping you.

Best Regards,