Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Technical Support Coach at Liberty Tax Service
93584285

Well we have an old iMac ( single, heavy module) computer in

Customer Question

Well we have an old iMac (white single, heavy module) computer in a back office which I was hoping to use, to put some basic record keeping on. Firing it up, I get the classic chime, but screen stays blank & black?
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: A reasonable amount I guess. I don't think there's a cd stuck in the drive or anything, and keyboard functions seem OK, as I've just tried it on another compute
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No. It's been sitting in the back office for ages. To be honest it's past its sell by date, but what applications are on there will do for what we want at the moment. I don't want to throw IT kit away just because it's old
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: None, and I probably don't have the original disks for this machine to hand
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Well I'm just wondering where you are, and what this service is going to cost?!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Isaac Franklin replied 7 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

This could be many different things. A few things we need to do in order to narrow down

what the issue is. Whether it is the screen or the imac itself.

Lets try a hard reboot, pram and try to get it into safemode to try and invoke picture.

Turn imac off. remove battery (IF applicable for your particular imac. remove power cord.

hold down the start button for a full minute. then put in battery and power cord.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
Turn on your Mac.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
Release the keys.

Do you have picture? If not, we can test to see if it is a monitor issue. If the screen is still black,

shine a really bright light or flashlight on the screen when it is on. Do you see any 'images in the dark

screen barely show'?

Find the mac ports you have (or just send me the exact model and i will look) and see if you have a way

to put an external monitor on the mac. If it is not the imac itself, your images of start up will show on the monitor.

It will help us narrow down the issue.

As for payment, i am a tech. I cannot see that portion of your account. Please contact customer support for any

agreements you have made with them for your account.

Let me know if you get through the steps above and we will go from there.

If you are satisfied with the help I have provided, please remember to click and submit a 5 star rating on this page. Your feedback is important as it is the only way I am credited for assisting you. Thank you.
~Franklin