Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

It stops restarting half way through. OIs x Yosemite, No. I

Customer Question

It stops restarting half way through.
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?
Customer: OIs x Yosemite
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No. I have been away so it was not used for two weeks
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have tried control R and reinstalled but now it's back to square one.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Machine is hot
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 24 days ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

This usually happens if the system files are corrupted or if there is any issue with the hard drive.It could be the hard drive that is failing. We can run Disk Utility and see ifit works or not. Turn off your Mac by holding down Power button for 10seconds. Then turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys atsame time for 20 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS X Utilities screen. From there, click Disk Utility. Select your hard disk at left column(Macintosh HD or hard disk name). Then click Verify Disk (under First Aid). If asked to repair, click Repair Disk. Then click Repair Permission.

Then restart from Apple menu. If that didn't work, then turn it off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command, Option, P and R keys at the same time for 5 seconds, then release the keys and immediately hold down Shift key for 20 seconds. Does it boot into desktop ?

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I'll get back to you. Looks like it's going to take a while.
Expert:  Ashik replied 24 days ago.

Most of the times, this happens if there is any issue with the hard drive. So we might be dealing with an hard drive issue. Other parts like board, processor, RAM etc are fine.

Let me know how it goes please

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I have repaired and restarted but it is still stopping halfway.
Expert:  Ashik replied 24 days ago.

When did this problem start actually ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 24 days ago.

Do you have the backup of your files ?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
It had been slowing before I went away but first time we have had this.
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Not sure to be honest. Time machine is plugged in so just hope it has backed up.
Expert:  Ashik replied 24 days ago.

Since you've already tried reinstalling the OS X, there are two causes for this problem. Either the partition structure of the hard drive is corrupted or the hard drive itself is failing which is very likely to happen as you mentioned it had been slowing down before. The fact you are able to boot into OS X Utilities screen indicates that all other core components of the Mac are fine.

In rare cases, corruption in user account can also cause this. So lets rule that out first.

We can create a new account and see if you are able to login to that account.

• Turn off/shut down your Mac.

• Turn it on and immediately hold down the Command(Apple) and S keys together for 10 seconds to boot into Single User Mode

• When you see the text prompt, type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Administrator account (hitting return after each line). Also, note down the spaces between the commands, like a space between mount and -, space between -uw and / etc

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

(If it returns any errors after any command above, then you are entering the commands incorrectly. Make sure you enter it correctly)

When you enter last command and press return, the Mac will shut down. So turn it back on, you should be able to create a brand new Administrator account (when creating the account, if you're asked to transfer information, select Don't transfer)

Login to new account. Are you able to login to new account ? This will tell us if the issue is related to user account.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Ok. Will try.
Expert:  Ashik replied 24 days ago.

Good luck

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I can't get to single user. It still stops half way. No text appearing.
Expert:  Ashik replied 24 days ago.

I'm sorry. You have four options in here. First is, buy Disk Warrior (powerful disk utility application)and try to repair your hard disk or recover your files with it. If it is unable to fix the hard drive, then it will at least help you to recover the files that are readable and save them to an external drive. Get it from here :

Disk Warrior is very costly. If you don't want to recover any files (that are not backed to Time Machine), then you don't have to buy Disk Warrior. It is not worth it if you don't have any important files/applications. Disk Warrior will not fix it if the hard drive is failing.

Second is, if you have another Mac and a Thunderbolt/Firewire cable, then you can setup Target Disk Mode and this will allow you to mount the hard drive of this Mac to that like an external hard drive and you will be able to back up your files -->

(After backing up,you can reinstall the OS X after erasing the drive.)

Third is, you can erase the hard drive and try to install a fresh version of Mac OS X in it. This will erase everything from your hard disk unfortunately. Boot into the Mac OS X Utilities screen just like you did before (Command and R or Command, Option and R). In there, select Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk and erase it. Then close Disk Utility and continue installation. This is the quickest solution if you don't mind losing the files in it. This also will not work if the hard drive is failing.

Final option is, you can take the Mac to the Apple Store. They will recover the files using their tools like Disk Warrior or Target Disk Mode and then reinstall Mac OS X for you after erasing or replace the hard drive. Hard drive is not very costly. It starts from $40(excluding repair/installation cost)

You can also replace the hard drive yourself for cheaper cost. Let me know if you would like to do it yourself and I will send you instructions.

Let me know what you think..

Expert:  Ashik replied 24 days ago.

I can virtually guarantee it is the hard drive as I've seen this kind of issue before. I'd recommend to replace it with a SSD instead of hard drive as SSD has lower failure rate and higher reliability, performance and speed.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Ok. Thank you. I think I'll have someone look at it.
Expert:  Ashik replied 24 days ago.

You're most welcome !

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as Excellent or 5 stars and click Submit at the top of this page. Then only I will get credit for helping you.

Best Regards,

Expert:  Ashik replied 20 days ago.

Hi there, It's me Ashik again. I'm just following up with you to see how it is going.

Do you need help with anything ?