Viet - Mac Tech
Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech
Experience:  Support Mac laptops, desktops, & iPhone, iPad, iPod, etc.
30037186

MacBook Pro OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.5 Processor: 2.7 GHz

MacBook Pro
OS X Yosemite
Version 10.10.5
Processor: 2.7 GHz
Memory: 8GBiPhone 6 iOS
10.0.2
Capacity 55GB* I would like to transfer photos from an iPhone to a Macbook Pro.
* I have over 5,000 photos stored on the phone.
* I do not use iCloud or really any online storage.
* I know of two possible methods: iTunes or the Mac Photos application.
* I use iTunes more for back up and iOS updates.I have 2 questions:#1. The bot***** *****ne is that I would feel more comfortable storing photos "locally," going from phone to computer instead of the cloud or online.#2. Would iTunes or the Mac Photos application be a good “ease of use” for storing photos in a convenient way?

I'm sorry about the issue. Please allow me to answer your questions:

1. Yes, local storage is safer as cloud online server can be hacked.

2. Mac Photos is a great app to store / manage your photos; it's easy to use. Here are the tutorials:

https://help.apple.com/photos/mac/1.2/

Please let me know if you have any further question. Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

iTunes does not store photos only Photos will do that.

Per my previous reply, you use the Photos app (not iTunes) in order to import / mange your photos.

Please let me know if you have any further question. Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for the response Viet. And thank you for the online help documentation, I know I could havesearched that :-)Thanks for the additional help Mike.Viet (or Mike), have you personally stored photos in the Mac Photos application?If so:#1. For Mac / iPhone beginners (1-2 years experience with Apple products) do you feel it's "easy" to use?#2. Is backing up and organizing photos convenient to do?#3. Do you think finding (tagging) photos out of thousands is fast?

You're welcome. Yes, the built-in Photos app is easier for beginners to use for both iPhone and Mac computer. Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Again, thanks Viet (and Mike) for the responses.Next question(s):#1. I know I can read the online documentation but I'm guessing the built-in Photos app can be readable if we decide to back to a PC or other operating system?

Yes, tagging many photos is fast.

Like any other data, you back up normally, using Time Machine, or manually transfer / copy to a USB drive. More information about backup:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21364?locale=en_US

Thank you,

Yes, photos can be read on PC and other operating system. Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
34;Yes, photos can be read on PC and other operating system."Well, since the Mac Photos application is Apple specific I'm not sure how the Photos library will be compatible.

I'm sorry. I thought you mean about transferring / viewing photos on another device. Unfortunately no, Mac and Windows, each has their own built-in Photos app, so they are not compatible with the libraries. But you can transfer photos between any device. Thank you.

If you use the iCloud Photo Library you can view and download on any computer and there is very little risk of being "hacked" if you make secure passwords and change them often. I can show you by remote if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks Mike, first, in all my years in computer experience I was never comfortable any cloud based services. Yes, I understand a strong password ***** user judgment can go a long way but I like more control over data if I can.Secondly, I'm not transferring any photos as of now. I just like to get a heads up before starting the process so thanks again for the offering the remote connection. Third, I like compatibility to where if something happens with my Mac computer "what if" I had to move my information to a PC? I just like to be prepared universally, hope that makes sense.

Only cloud based services would be available on both platforms.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I understand.

Good luck

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Appreciate that Mike. Your experience with cloud based service has been positive? Meaning, with security?

Yes I store my whole Photo Library in the iCloud, use Flickr, and many other services of course any personal photos you don't want your mother to see should be saved elsewhere anyway... LOL and you have to be careful with Social Network services of course. FaceBook, Twitter, etc... I use 1Password ***** I can make impossible to guess passwords that I don't have to remember. I had a fire in 2012 where I lost everything but not my photos and data!!

If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Also please note we get paid the same no matter how long it takes to solve your issue, so bonuses are GREATLY appreciated. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. Thanks!!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Viet and Mike, I guess that's what it comes down to: ***** ***** want to store my photos online (cloud) or on a hard rive locally?As I mentioned it's all about personal preference. I've come accustomed to just doing everything "manually," by transferring computer information straight from a storage device onto my personal computer. And yes, I am aware that anything online could potentially get hacked the same could be said for something offline such as someone stealing an external hard drive or flash drive, etc. That's the risks and I understand that. So, with that said, guess I'll figure out what to do next.That was apart of a 2 part question. Once I do decide to store the photos online or offline my second part question was having a an "ease" of workflow but I guess that too comes down to personal preference.Viet,#1. Did you say that you personally use the Mac Photos application to store all your photos?#2. If so, is this the only method you use, do you also store photos or other information online?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Mike, how can I rate you only without rating the entire thread?

Pleas rate the other expert.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks Mike :-)

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Viet,#1. Did you say that you personally use the Mac Photos application to store all your photos?#2. If so, is this the only method you use, do you also store photos or other information online?

1. Yes.

2. I also use Google Photos, as Google Photos allows unlimited photo storage online, so I can sync photos to all my devices.

Thank you.

Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech
Experience: Support Mac laptops, desktops, & iPhone, iPad, iPod, etc.