Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Cant see my external hard drive. It shows up in Disk Utility

Customer Question

hello
JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: Cant see my external hard drive. It shows up in Disk Utility but not in Finder
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?
Customer: Sierra
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Yup The OS update
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: None really. Ran the First Aid in DiskUtility. It showed no issues
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 2 months ago.

Hi, welcome to justanswer.com! My name is Mike.

I am going over your question and I will be with you shortly.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 months ago.

Select the first icon in the Dock, the face (Finder), then go to the top left of your screen to Finder / Preferences / select the General tab and check all boxes under Show these items on the Desktop. Do you see it now?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No
Expert:  Mike replied 2 months ago.

OpenDisk Utility and select the drive what is listed next to Format?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I dont see "Format" anywhere
Expert:  Mike replied 2 months ago.

It will be in small type below the name of the drive, the word Format is not actually there

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Still dont see it. see attachment.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 months ago.

It say Windows NT so it is formatted for Windows NTSF you have to format it for Mac: Mac OS Extended Journaled

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hmmm I've been using it on my Mac for almost a year now. Will it delete on the files on here if I format it?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
how do I format it?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 months ago.

Yes it will erase the drive. You can try this:https://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/download.html

Expert:  Mike replied 2 months ago.

To format it you would need to copy the files to another drive first if you want to save them

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok. How to prevent this from happening again?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 months ago.

When you purchased the drive it was probably formatted for Windows make sure you check that before using it.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 months ago.

If there is nothing else wrong the Paragon software should work fine no need to format it.

Once installed you can Verify the NTSF drive using the Paragon System Preference.

If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Also please note we get paid the same no matter how long it takes to solve your issue, so bonuses are GREATLY appreciated. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. Thanks!!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 2 months ago.

Thank you. If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Also please note we get paid the same no matter how long it takes to solve your issue, so bonuses are GREATLY appreciated. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. Thanks!!

Expert:  Mike replied 2 months ago.

Is it working now?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 month ago.

Do you still need help with that? You never replied....