Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

The new os (10 I think) was installed on my new iPad mini 4

Customer Question

Hello
the new os (10 I think) was installed on my new iPad mini 4 yesterday and now I can't get my iTunes on my Mac to connect with the iPad to update my music etc. I keep getting the message that 'iTunes can not connect to the iPad because it received an 'irregular' reaction (my translation) from the device.'
What can I do?
P
Category: Mac
Expert:  Cody replied 7 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

Expert:  Cody replied 7 months ago.

Can you uninstall itunes and downloaded latest version from http://itunes.com

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Cody replied 7 months ago.

yes

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Wh
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i can't download a new version of iTunes on the Mac. If I could, it would have come in with the other automatically installed updates.
Expert:  Cody replied 7 months ago.

what do you mean by you can't download the newest version?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My mac searches for, downloads and installs new software automatically. I'm now running iTunes 12.2.25
That is the last update I received.
I just tried updating again and the mac tells me I'm running the latest version.
The version of iTunes on the iPad mini 4 came with the update (that I didn't ask for or agreed to, BTW)
So I can't get a newer version of iTunes on any of the machines.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can it be a security issue between the iPad and the mac?
the new version of the software for the iPad mini 4 wanted me to do a 'double security' procedure, but I didn't have my phone number handy, so I haven't completed that.
Expert:  Cody replied 7 months ago.

I'm going to open this up to see if another expert has an idea of what is going on.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok, i was wondering what was going on. :-)
Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.

You will have to upgrade your system to get iTunes version 12.5 or higher.

Please go to the Apple logo at the upper left of your computer screen to About This Mac and give me this information:

The exact system Version (listed right under OS X ??)

Processor

Memory

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When you say upgrade my system, what do you mean? Buy a new computer?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello Mike, by the way
Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.

No I mean upgrade your Mac OS version, iTunes 12.5 or higher is needed for iOS 10. Can you give me the info I just asked for

Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.

Processor

Memory

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's a Mac running Mac OS X version 10.7.5
Processor : 2.93 Ghz intel core 2 duo
Memory: 4 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3I don't seem to get updates anymore for any of the software, not the OS, not iTunes.
Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.

OK I will need the serial number of the computer. Go to the Apple Logo to About this Mac then More Info or System Report

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Serienummer W89170E00TM
Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.

OK you can upgrade to Sierra http://www.apple.com/macos/sierra/

Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.

Then you can get iTunes 12.5.? and it will work with your devices using iOS 10

Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.

I suggest you check you hard drive first:

Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. If you can't get to that menu just hold the power button for 10 seconds until it shuts down. Then start it up again holding those keys. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go.

When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) select the First Aid tab if it is not already selected, then click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok, I can try that!
Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.

OK let me know or I can help you by remote also

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No luck, I'm trying to get Sierra on my mac and I get the reply 'cannot complete your purchase, this version of masOS10.12 can not be installed on this computer.'
Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.

According to the serial number you gave me it can. You actually only need Mavericks to get that version of iTunes. Can you try that?

Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.

Sorry I guess you can't get Sierra found newer specs, but you should be able to install El Capitan

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I click your link, get to the download page, click download and then get the 'can't do it' message. I tried several time. The serial number is ***** I copy pasted it. Serienummer W89170E00TM
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok, let's try El Capitan
Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.

Open the App Store and search for El Capitan

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's downloading el capitan now
Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.

OK did you check your hard drive first?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I didn't because then I would have to close my connection to you and I' wasn't sure I would find you again. Sorry. Will it still work?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Estimated download time left is 2 hours 45 min. Is this normal?
Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.

You should check it first, you can still check it while you are downloading, just open Disk Utility in Applications / Utilities folder and Verify Disk then Repair Permissions if that is ok. Yes it can take over an hour to download and install. Or I can do it by remote too

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'll try. Thanks for your patience. I'm a little anxious here :-) It's not helping that all the names and programs are in Dutch and I can't find Disk Utility Applications.
Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.

No in Applications there is another folder called Utilities, Disk Utility is in that folder

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I think I have it (Schijfhulpprogramma), It's checking now and the next step would be the First Aid, right?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
now doing repair disk permission
Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.

No Verify Disk is first then Repair Permissions. "Controleer Disk"?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I already did 'controleer schijf' (disk). Should I stop the repair permissions?
Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.

OK no if that was ok then you are fine

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, El Capitan is still downloading and the Utilities disk first aid says it's done repairing permissions. Is that the end of the hard disk check? Do I just close 'Mac HD', wait for El Capitan, install it and the have the Mac look for the newer version of iTunes?
Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.

Yes you can quit Disk Utility and wait for the upgrade to install then run the App Sore for other updates like iTunes

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK, I'll do that. I'll leave this window open just in case. Scary sunday night here :-)
Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.

OK

Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.

Everything ok?

Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.

Do you still need help with that? You never replied....