David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc H.Dip Apple Certified Professional

I have been working on an affidavit for days now. I was

Customer Question

I have been working on an affidavit for days now. I was trying to make the document pages
go up and down by using my mouse. Then all the typing (single spaced) on the document
disappeared and even tho I had several times pressed save (to the desktop) on the titled document (affidavit) the text had disappeared and I cannot seem to find it! Help! This
represents days of work! Eve Beauregard, owner of a brand new Mac
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 27 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** to Just Answer. I am reviewing your question and will reply ASAP.

Expert:  David replied 27 days ago.

What application is your document in? Have you saved it since the text disappeared?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I have no idea how to answer your question. Unless the application is "pages" the icon on the bottom of the screen.
I certainly do not want to pay an extra 39. I was hoping to get the words back for the 30. If all I get for that is some correspondence, I would consider this experience a rip off ( which I certainly hope it is not) Eve B
Expert:  David replied 27 days ago.

The remote assistance is an optional extra. It gets proposed to you automatically after I begin replying. You don't have to go for that if you don't want to. You can continue in this form of support without the premium options, no problem.

Expert:  David replied 27 days ago.

So Pages is the application the document was created in. Next question is wether you saved over the document when it was blank. Also, do you have Time Machine, or did you save it in any other location, other than the copy that was on the Desktop?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I just got this Mac. I typed a previous one pager titled "golem" which was also done in "pages" and has been saved on the desktop with the typing intact. On the desktop there is also a small (blank) page titled underneath "affidavit" which is all blank even tho there were 5 filled pages of writing on it representing at least 5 hrs of work. This is all gone. Where did it go and how do I get it back. I am ready to drag this computer back to the store I purchased it from. Very frustrating. Never happened before in the old computer
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Please forgive my high anxiety. No I did not save the blank document
Expert:  David replied 27 days ago.

I understand the frustration when computers don't work as intended. Contents of a document could be deleted accidentally or by some malfunction in the computer softwares normal operation, so there's no way to give you a definitive answer of how it happened.

The advice you always hear is to make backups, but until something like this happens you don't realise how true that is. Time Machine is built-in on a Mac, and is as easy to set up as connecting a USB drive and following some on screen instructions.

It is good that you did not save over the document you were working on. That means there is a chance the saved copy on the Desktop has the typed contents.

Try closing Pages, and if it prompts you to save it don't. Then open the document from the Desktop where you expect the typed content to be.

Expert:  David replied 27 days ago.

As that is the only copy of the document, if it opens blank there will be no way to retrieve what was lost. In that case I'm afraid you would have lost the typed work and would need to retype it.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Unfortunately the document on the desk top also came in blank even tho pages was shut off.
Expert:  David replied 27 days ago.

If you work on documents like this all the time, then you should plug in a USB hard drive and let the Mac use it as a backup. If something like this happened again you could use that to retrieve the document from a point in time when you knew it was ok.

Another method of working with documents it to save different versions of it as different named documents. That means saving it as a new document, with a new name, at different milestones. You could save it every hour, save it as a new document, and add the time to the end of the name. Then you can go back to a certain milestone if you need to by opening the document with that milestone in the name.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I thought I was making back ups by pressing the "save" button under "file" also what is a time machine. This apple was
purchased a short time ago so it should be on there.
Expert:  David replied 27 days ago.

Time Machine is the name of the backup software on this machine, but to work properly you need an external disk. A backup is not a proper backup unless it is made to a different disk. If something were to happen to the iMac hardware an external disk would still contain the backups.

Save is not truly backing up. It is saving the document only to the one location, a proper backup saves the document to a different location so if something happens to the original it is not the only copy.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Am I to assume then that my document is lost? I typed literally hundreds of such documents on my old 2002 Apple , backed up these documents just fine by the method I described for YEARS. never even lost a single document.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Is this conversation finished then? No possibility of getting my text back?
Expert:  David replied 27 days ago.

Hi, I'm very sorry for the delay, I had an unexpected call. Yes without a backup there is no way to retrieve the document, I am sorry about that. It might have been ok for the years that you saved them that way, but that is not backing them up, and duplicating them to another location is. It's only until something like this happens that you realise the difference. I'm sorry you lost your data.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I called my grandson in high school and he lead me through a process on file that retrieved all the old copies and I was
able to get one that had the typing on it. What I was told is there on record. Very very disappointing. I would not recommend
This experience to anyone. I needed a way to retrieve my lost typing- not a lecture on how to back up. I consider the techs
advice to be irrelevant to the problem I had.
Expert:  David replied 26 days ago.

I apologise for your bad experience, but you glad you were able to get the document back. I can only assume it was Time Machine as you mention old copies. I had asked about that and was told it was not there.