Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I completed the steps outlined and have the same issue. I am

Customer Question

I completed the steps outlined and have the same issue. I am trying to install InDesign CS3 on my Mac OS 10.10.5 and it still wants the ROMAN.TXT file
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: quite a bit
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Yes
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I searched and performed this article's suggestions that worked for someone else but not me
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

For reference, can you relay the link to the article you tried to follow. That way I can get an idea of what steps you have tried so far.

Also, if there were any steps you could not complete or skipped over from the article, please let me know.

This will help me not to suggest steps you may have already tried, thank you.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Here is the link to the steps I tried. I did everything.
http://my.justanswer.com/question/guest/8e5e0c813cb14ffa924cde91b0f12fd1
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have the whole CS installed on my OLDER laptop. I only copied over Indesign folder to my NEW laptop. Perhaps there are residual filed required from the installer discs? I want to run Indesign on my newer laptop since its a lot faster for work.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

One major issue you are running into here is CS3 was made for a much older version of mac. ( leopard 10.5.4)

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/system-requirements.html

However it should be able to install. And you are correct, we definitely need to reinstall from the disks, or from a download.

But first, we need to install this Java update. http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1572

Once installed, next if you have the in stall disks lets use those to reinstall indesign.

If you do not have the install disks, you can re-download either the CS3 suite you purchased, or you can download just indesign CS3 if you purchased it separately, and you can download it from this link specifically.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs3-product-downloads.html

You will need your serial number for indesign, if you dont have it let me know.

Let me know if you get stuck at any point during the download or install process so I can assist you further. And if all goes well please remember to reply here so we can mark this question as resolved with a 5 star rating!

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Java Installed... just trashing InDesign before reinstalling "new" version from download... I should have realized the download would have proper files... but not out of the woods yet. Thank you for your help thus far!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I entered the serial number for CS3 and didn't work. I hope I don't have to install the whole suite just for InDesign?
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

My apologies for the delay, I just seen your reply.

Where did you get the serial number from, did you check your adobe account? Or did you have the serial number written down or stored somewhere?

And also, if the serial number is ***** cs3 itself, and not for indesign specifically. Then you would need to download the same cs3 suite, not just indesign.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The serial number is ***** off the box. I reread your msg about "if" I purchased InDesign separately. My mistake. I am now installing the entire suite... I should have realized.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Not a problem. Intuitively you would think that a CS3 serial would work for any individual program. Unfortunately thats not always the case.

if you do run into any errors or issues during the install please respond and let me know verbatim, what those errors are.

Otherwise, if all goes well please remember to click and submit a 5 star rating to show I was able to assist you. Thank you,

Dustin S

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
tried installing and in the options screen it showed that in design was already installed. I couldn't click the box. Installed anyways and tried opening Photoshop and the serial number doesn't work.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

What exactly does it say when you enter the serial number?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
screen shot
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Nor do I see InDesign anywhere in Apps folder
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Lets try cross referencing that serial number with your adobe account.. The key here, is we want to use the same adobe account you originally registered cs3 to. The best way to find that would be to open one of the cs3 programs on your old machine, and click help / about and it sh ould show the registered name and email address. Thats the email address we would want to use to complete the steps below.

To see a list of your registered products and their serial numbers, go to the Adobe accounts page and sign in with your Adobe ID and password.

Choose Plans & Products > View all > Products > View your products.

If you lost your serial number, or your product is not listed in your account, contact us.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They match
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
logged in fine. cross checked. match. now what? All I want is InDesign. I installed everything BUT ID since it says its already installed, even though I trashed it.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
screen shot installer
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

The problem there, is that if indesign still had its preference files in place.. ( which trashing it wont remove)

Then it would think indesign was present and not install it. So we may need to go to your user / library / preferences folder and trash the com.adobe.indesign preferences, any of them.

And then attempt to install it again. Let me know if trashing the indesign preference / plist file allows you to install.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The only thing I see related is an ID alias. There isnt a Library folder under user (screenshot)
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

This page has a great visual guide, which shows how to show the library folder.

http://osxhelper.com/always-show-library-folder-os-x-yosemite/

Once we have done that, for reference this is what to do next.

" go to your user / library / preferences folder and trash the com.adobe.indesign preferences, any of them.

And then attempt to install it again. Let me know if trashing the indesign preference / plist file allows you to install."

Note, you may need to empty your trash, and close and reopen the installer after the above steps to have the installer reflect the change and allow you to install indesign.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Still no luck - still thinks its installed. Deleted the plist file which was in its own ID folder. even restarted comp. Even if I could install it there is the serial # issue. but one thing at a time.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Maybe it would be best if I connect and help you with this directly on screen , that can be accomplished via asecure remote session. if you would like to try that extra service, let me know.

With that being said, we probably need to systematically work through the steps listed on this page.

http://macstrategy.com/article.php?33

We should focus on the caches and application support and other file locations related to indesign specifically.

If you need to, Ctrl F on the page and type in indesign, and focus on removing everything that mentions or includes indesign.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I systematically went through that page's instructions. The only file I could see to delete was from "Login items". I didnt see any Indesign files anywhere else. I ran the Maintenance app, restarted and same thing. It thinks its installed yet it doesnt appear in the uninstall setup screen. I'm fed up right now. My apologies. I don't want to pay more for this issue knowing there is still the serial number problem. I need to head out shortly but will be online later this evening.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Understood completely. Sometimes its best to take a break from a tough issue and come back with a fresh start.

I can say that the issues you are encountering are ones I am familiar with and have dealt with before, therefore I am confident that we can work through these and find a solution.

When you are ready to continue, let me know!

Dustin S

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks Dustin. The hope was to be able to do layout work with Indesign on my mac but the company is on PC platform using a newer version. I might consider logging into my Adobe account and using the same program version they are and sign up for the monthly subscription (contract isn't long). I would hate to encounter compatibility issues later on. We'll see. I'll keep you posted. I am grateful for all your help and continued support!
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Thats a solid point you raise, as there will almost always be compatibility issues between files created with two different versions of indesign.

Usually you have to up convert or down convert and it tends to be a one way street.. For a fluid work process its best to match the version of indesign to whomever you work most often with.

With that being said, we should still be able to get CS3 installed, as its a paid version and mostly compatible with your current system.

D.S

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I hear you. I will see if I can download the company's version of the software on PC. I hope I can subscribe monthly - or the company can grant me access to their Adobe account to download their version, if their licensing permits. This is a remote job and compatibility is key here.