Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

App store crashing. I migrated all of my files from a

Customer Question

app store crashing. I migrated all of my files from a Powerbook running 10.7 to another same model powerbook. I bought a new drive for the new machine and formatted with my 10.6 disc. I purchased 10.7 from Apple and then discovered that app store will not launch on the new machine. I did install the 10.6.8 combo update but that did not work either. Numerous shut downs and restarts but same problem. App store crashes immediately
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: quite a bit
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: fresh install of 10.6 on brand new disc. then 10.6.8 combo update
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: restart. remove software update pref file.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pete replied 27 days ago.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Pete replied 27 days ago.

The App Store and iTunes apps both use Safari to load web content, and sometimes resetting Safari helps if they are crashing.

First, try the following:

Reset Safari

1. Open Safari, press Safari on the menu bar and click Reset Safari.

2. Uncheck all the options except, Remove All Website Data and Close All Safari Windows.

3. Press Reset.

This will clear the Safari cache, and may help.

If that doesnt work try booting in Safe Mode:

Safe Boot:

1. Turn your computer off.

2. While you turn the computer back on, immediately hold the Shift key until you see an Apple logo with the loading bar underneath.

3. It will load your login page with your user, log in from here.

4. Test the issue, and reboot.

If all else fails, try clearing your system cache:

Pull the App Store plist

1. Open Finder and select Go on the menu bar.

2. Hold the Option key and select Library.

3. Go to the Preferences folder that you see in there, and navigate to the file and drag them both to the desktop.

4. Reboot and test the issue again.

Let me know if you are able to get into the App store again?

Your satisfaction is my priority;
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back at any time if you need any further assistance at all.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Pete,So far no luck. I reset safari -- no change. I booted in safe mode. no change. I looked for those preference files and did not see them. I did see similar names but none including apple.appstore.When I migrated the files, the APP Store, Itunes, Launchpad and Mission control icons in the doc were all X ed out. These were files that were migrated from a machine running 10.7 to my new machine drive running 10.6. This was the only way to get the new machine up to 7.6 -- first install from Snow Leopard disc, then upgrade to Lion via the app store. (they don't offer a Lion disc). So now I am stuck. I can access app store from the old machine but I understand if I download I wont be able to transfer to the new machine. Thanks, -Jim
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Sorry, I meant to write above "to get the new machine up to 10.7"
Expert:  Mike replied 23 days ago.

What is the serial number of the MacBook you are trying to upgrade? You cannot migrate 10.7 to a Mac that has 10.6 installed.

Expert:  Mike replied 21 days ago.

Do you still need help with that? You never replied....