Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Safari won't open on my iMac. When I click the icon it

Customer Question

Safari won't open on my iMac. When I click the icon it doesn't bounce or do anything really.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What version of Mac OS X are you using ? Go to Applications folder and do you see Safari there ? If so, does it open from there ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
El Capitan 10.11.6Safari is there but it does not open.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

There are many reasons for this problem. It is possible that your Mac is infected with adware or could be corrupted Safari files. In Finder, hold down Option key, click on Go menu and select Library. Open Containers folder and move the com.apple.safari folder from there to desktop.

Then download and scan your Mac with this Anti malware application --> https://www.malwarebytes.com/antimalware/mac/

(You can download it from another browser or you can download it from another computer and copy the downloaded file to Mac and install it)

Then remove all malware or adware if it finds anything. Then open Safari while holding down Shift key and does it open ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have no way of copying the malwarebytes to my Mac, is there something else I can do?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

We need to run Malwarebytes to find and remove malware/adware if there is any. If there are any adware/malware, they usually result in crashing of Safari or prevent it from opening.

In Finder, hold down Option key, click on Go menu and select Library. Open Containers folder and trash the com.apple.safari folder.

Hold down Shift and open Safari. Does it open ?

If it is not opening, then go to System Preferences > Users & Groups. Create a test administrator account. Then logout from Apple menu and login to new account. Does Safari work in new account ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would purchasing an antivirus app from the AppStore work?Deleted the file, tried to open safari from new Admin, still nothing
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

No, AntiViruses won't do any good as this is not a virus issue.

Virus and malware/adware are different things. Adwares are browser hijackers and can affect them.

But there is a way. Open App Store, search Browser and download any free browsers. Then download Malwarebytes using this link --> https://www.malwarebytes.com/antimalware/mac/

Note : Malwarebytes is FREE for Mac.

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

Since Safari isn't opening from new account, that means it is not a issue with the preferences files. So it could be a malware/adware (browser hijacker) or the actual Safari is probably corrupted. There are some ways to fix it if Malwarebytes didn't work.

You can reinstall the OS X or you can update the OS X to latest macOS Sierra. Both procedure will replace old Safari app with new one. Let me know what you think.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Malwarebytes found no threats.I will update the OS X if possible
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

If this is a 2009 or later iMac, then Sierra will work on it. Go to App Store, click Updates and you can find Sierra there. Download and install it from there.

Let me know how it goes.

Meantime you can download Chrome or Firefox using the browser you downloaded using App Store until we get this fixed