Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I deleted my i tunes duplicates and originals by mistake

Customer Question

i deleted my i tunes duplicates and originals by mistake
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 2 months ago.

I am the person that will be helping you today.

Which version of Windows or Mac OS are you using?

I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.

Thank you,
Jason

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I signed up for $24 please dont keep changing this. I need a quick answer to my question I deleted my i tunes duplicates and it seems originals by mistake but I did follow the intructions. It you can help me recover them the $24 is OK
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
macericks OS matchbook pro
12.3.1.25 I tunes

The remote session is extra because it requires more of my time. That is okay. We don't have to do that. Do you have any backups of your Music folder?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I haven't backed up for a fews days but I added a lot of music yesterday.

Okay. Have you already tried restoring the backup in that case?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no because the music was added after that. The prompts i followed in doing the duplicate delete said the duplicates would be save to i tunes folder and not put in trash if i understood it but I can t find them. I tried this Quit out of iTunes.
Go into your home folder, then into the Music folder, and finally into the iTunes folder.
Find a file called iTunes Music Library.xml and drag it out of that folder (to the desktop, or somewhere else that’s convenient for you).
Delete the file called iTunes Library.itl.
Re-open iTunes and go to the File menu. Select Library > Import Playlists... and choose the iTunes Music Library.xml that you saved.
but it didn't seem to work
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
choose "show duplicates" then I deleted them then I had a choice of moving to trash or saving to I tunes media I think
that was the option i chose

I don't know where you got those instructions, but they are not correct. You can restore from a backup, if you don't wish to do that, there is no other option.

I have run out of ideas.

For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.

The next expert will see all that is on this page, so there will be no need to repeat anything.

When another expert picks this up, you will be notified by email.

Thank you for your patience.

- Jason

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK
Expert:  Mike replied 2 months ago.

I would have to look at your computer to diagnose this. Let me know if you want to do that.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 months ago.

Please don't start new questions or you will be charged again. The Remote Service is extra. Let me know if you want me to do that.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm not sure what's going on. Pearl was talking to me and asked for more $. My card was just charged $18 a few minutes ago and no one has helped me yet. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She kept asking questions but hadn't read the notes from yesterdays unsuccessful session
Expert:  Mike replied 2 months ago.

I have no idea either... only myself and Jason have been helping you with this question unless you started another one like you just did a few minutes ago. I closed that one. The remote service is extra if you don't want to do that that's fine just let me know.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She said she was the "assistant" to you and then was going to put you online. A little confusing to me.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Pearl was the person and I didn't start another question. Sorry for the confusion. Dan
Expert:  Mike replied 2 months ago.

OK... well I am the one offering to help you, sorry for the confusion. The new question you started was "Mike: I'm open to you looking at my computer as long as we keep it to the amount I agreed to pay. Thank you Mike".

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Mike if you can quickly read the notes from yesterdays session that will save a lot to time and retyping on my part. Thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 2 months ago.

Yes I did do you want me to remote connect? It is extra.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry I'm on a budget.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 months ago.

OK.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ON i tunes I went to show duplicates and instead of deleting them one by one I deleted them all, I chose the option not to put them in trash in case I needed to retrieve them. Now they are nowhere to be found and I'm missing some music
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't want to try to retrieve from time machine because my last back up was a few days ago and did not record a lot of music I added a couple days ago
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
are you still online???
Expert:  Mike replied 2 months ago.

I opted out of your question

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
that has happened twice buy you guys have charged my card already today. That's frustrating Mike
Expert:  Mike replied 2 months ago.

You can contact Customer Service at *****@******.***