Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have a pptx file i have been working on - it's big, nearly

I have a pptx file i have been working on - it's big, nearly a gig - on my desktop but now won't open
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?
Customer: no idea
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: don't think so
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I am on OS X
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 months ago.

Hi, welcome to justanswer.com! My name is Mike.

I am going over your question and I will be with you shortly.

Expert:  Mike replied 5 months ago.

I will need some information before we begin:

Please go to the Apple logo at the upper left of your computer screen to About This Mac and give me this information:

The exact system Version (listed right under OS X ??)

Processor

Memory

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I just seem to be bombarded with payment requests!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't mind paying if it def gets sorted - have i already been charged e.g. £25
Expert:  Mike replied 5 months ago.

I made an offer to remote connect that is optional.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok, pretty confused tbh - i just need this sorted asap - i can't open the pptx file i have been working on, on my mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 months ago.

Processor

Memory

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OS X
2.3 GHz Intel core i716GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Expert:  Mike replied 5 months ago.

What version of OS X?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
10.9.5
Expert:  Mike replied 5 months ago.

OK and what version of Microsoft Office?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
MS PPT for MAC 2011 version 14.4.8
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
how do i find out?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 months ago.

OK if you accept the Premium Service offer I will give you instructions so I can remote connect

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What have i paid so far and what is the total price - and what guarantee you will sort this?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 months ago.

I have no access to your account but your satisfaction is guarenteed.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is unlikely you will be able to access remotely - this is a work laptop and admin rights etc will be needed. I just need simple instructions to be able to open this pptx file
Expert:  Mike replied 5 months ago.

There are many things I would need to check. You can't do much without admin priveleges. You are not the admin user?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no
Expert:  Mike replied 5 months ago.

OK what is the error message when you try to open it?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Power Point can't open the file....[file name] The file may be corrupt, in use, not a type recognised...etc
Expert:  Mike replied 5 months ago.

Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. If you can't get to that menu just hold the power button for 10 seconds until it shuts down. Then start it up again holding those keys. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go.

When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) select the First Aid tab if it is not already selected, then click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok, i will try that now
Expert:  Mike replied 5 months ago.

OK

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 5 months ago.

If Verify Disk is OK then you Repair Permissions restart the computer then try to open it again.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I still can't open it
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Going to try re-booting my machine again
Expert:  Mike replied 5 months ago.

Where did the file come from are you sure it was not saved with a new version of Powerpoint?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it doesn't open
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can't upload file to our transfer system, i can't save it to a memory stick - i really don't want to pay MORE - i want a simple fix or i may as well re-do all the work as this is now dragging on
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i don't understand this Q: Where did the file come from are you sure it was not saved with a new version of Powerpoint?I created the file
Expert:  Mike replied 5 months ago.

You can upload it to my system, but anyway....So the file was created on this computer and never moved? In that case I'm afraid it is corrupt... it happens. If you have a Time Machine backup you can recover an earlier version before it became corrupt. I can help you with that.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok - i don't mind uploading it and paying for that - but i am not clear about what, if anything i have paid thus far and what the total price is for you to sort this
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
file created on this computer
Expert:  Mike replied 5 months ago.

You would have been told at the start what the question was priced I can't see that, but the extra service is $38 US. It sounds like it is just corrupt though and I assume you have no Time Machine backup?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have no idea what a Time Machine back up is - sorry i am not an IT guy
Expert:  Mike replied 5 months ago.

It is not an IT thing really it is built into every Mac but you need an external drive to use it I suggest you get one for future problems

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can you guarantee you can fix it for $38 and i will get a full receipt for all i pay?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 months ago.

I have no access to your account but you are guaranteed satisfaction. You can ask customer service or use your PayPal receipt for invoice.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry, sounds like a vague reply. Can you fix it and can i get a full receipt - as will need to claim this back from my company
Expert:  Mike replied 5 months ago.

I am just a user like you on this site you have to ask customer service for a receipt.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok, i can do that. But how sure are you, you can fix this now - and pretty quickly ideally or i may as well re-do in an hour
Expert:  Mike replied 5 months ago.

I have no idea at this point but your upload time depends on your internet speed.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have good fibre optic connection - how sure are you, you can fix it?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ie do i only pay if it's fixed?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 months ago.

Yes I understand that do you want me to look at it or not I'm about done with this?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok - if you can guarantee i won't pay for nothing
Expert:  Bruce Wilner replied 5 months ago.

Hello. I would be happy to try to help you with this. However, I must warn you from the outset that it is very bad practice to create a 1 Gb file in ANY heavily visually oriented application like PPT and expect it to behave itself. 1 Gb may be appropriate for a movie that just simply plays sequentially and doesn't require detailed dialoguing with dozens of buttons and scores of sub-submenus.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i just re-did the whole presentation - seemed quicker/easier tbh and my experience here seemed to suggest the main focus is the $

You just redid a 1 Gb presentation? Whoa -- you work fast!!

Expert:  Mike replied 5 months ago.

I'm sorry you feel that way but there was little chance of recovering your file and I could not possibly guarantee it. You still are guaranteed satisfaction on this site, you didn't seem to believe me so I was not about to waste any more time, sorry. I suggest you get a Mac Formatted external drive and turn on Time Machine if you had that you could have recovered most of it.