Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I need to reset my password on a Macbook.

Customer Question

I need to reset my password ***** a Macbook.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

Do you know what version of mac osx is on the macbook?

If you have a guest account, you can check as follows.

To start with, I need to know the version of mac osx you have on your machine, you can check as follows.

Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is 10.10.5
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

Thank you.. And since there are three possible password ***** that could prevent you from using the machine.

Can you describe to me exactly the password ***** you see, and what it says on it? Thank you,

Dustin S

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I gave you the wrong OS. It is 10.7.5
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do I find that screen
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

You said its asking you for a password ***** es?

At what point does it ask you for a password.. When you first turn it on? Or, after you are at the mac desktop and then you try to install a program or make any major changes?

Please be specific as to when its asking you for the password, that way I can figure out what password ***** is we need to change or remove, thank you.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I tried to update Adobe Flash and it asked me for my password. I now realize I should established have established my new password.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I should have done this before I even set the clock or anything else.
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

Thank you.. So its y our mac login password ***** needs.. Heres how to set a new admin password

There are two ways to do this, the easy way first, and then the hard way second.

1. Shut down your Mac and turn it back on while holding down the Command and R keys at the same time until you see the Lion Recovery screen.
  2. From the menu bar at the top, select Utilities > Terminal.
  3. In the Terminal window type resetpassword and press Enter.
  4. Use the Reset Password ***** to select your hard drive, choose your user account, and enter a new password.

Reset Lion password ***** Single User mode

Anyone running Mac OS X Lion can take advantage of this method:

1. Shut down your Mac and turn it back on while holding down the Command and S keys at the same time until your see a black screen with white text. This is known as Single User mode.
  2. You can skip this step, but it’s recommended that you don’t because it will check the consistency of your hard drive. At the prompt, type fsck -fy and press Enter.
  3. Once the disk check is complete and the prompt returns, type mount -uw / and press Enter.
  4. Type launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.opendirectoryd.plist and press Enter.
  5. Type ls /Users and press Enter. All of the usernames on the computer will be listed, which is helpful if you don’t know or remember what these are.
  6. Type dscl . passwd /Users/username password while replacing username with one of the users displayed in the previous step and replacing password with the new password ***** your choice. Press Enter. You will likely get an error message about a file or directory not being found – it’s safe to ignore this.
  7. Type reboot and press Enter.

If you get stuck or run into any issues, let me know.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Where do I find Utilities>Terminal
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

Do you follow the steps..

To get there you need to shut down the mac, and then boot it while holding down the command and R key.

Then, once you are in the recovery screen you will see utilities and terminal at the top.

D.S

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't see utilities and terminal. Should I click on admin?
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

Did you restart your Mac, hold down command R when it was first powering on and go into the recovery drive?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I shut it down. Then started up like you said. I don't see the recovery drive.
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

When you held down command R as soon as you pressed power.. What exactly did you see on screen next?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I saw the apple and the spinning wheel. Then the screen shot.
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

I dont see the screen shot.. Can you describe what you see, for instance.. Does it look like this?

http://i.i.cbsi.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2011/08/03/Recovery1.png

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't see that anywhere.
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

No offense, but this isnt going to work if you dont read my replies, and answer the questions I ask.

For i nstance, I asked you twice what exactly did you see on screen.. Not once, have you described what you do see on screen.

Im going to repeat my previous reply again,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When I press command R it started up like normal. As soon as I pressed power I didn't see anything. I'll try again.
I just tried again. I guess this isn't working. Just keep the deposit money. I don't want to waste any more of your time.
Sorry
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

No need to give up yet.. Its possible that whoever sold your mac, did not load the recovery partition.. Thats why I needed to k now exactly what you saw..

Lets try the harder reset.. This is accomplished by pressing and holding command S as soon as you press power and it will work.

7. Type reboot and press Enter.

If you get stuck or run into any issues, let me know. And if this works and you are able to reset your password, please reply as there is one more step we will need to do after, once you are booted into the mac.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Dustin, I think I'll try Apple Help tomorrow. I'm not good with working on computers. Please, no offense. This is my problem not yours. Thanks.
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

I understand completely.. And in that case, the link below may be of interest to you since I wasnt able to help you.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund-0