Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

It began about two months ago. Every time I try to update an

Customer Question

It began about two months ago. Every time I try to update an app through the app store it says my Apple ID has been disabled. I've changed IDs five different times. Everything works fine except for updating apps. I just tried again this morning and it happened again.
JA: When did you last reset your Apple ID or password?
Customer: This morning.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No -- not for the past two months. But I've always been careful to do them immediately.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Resetting Apple IDs, using cellular service versus Wifi, calling Apple (they didn't have a solution)
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, but thank you! It's an iPhone, not a MAc
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

First let me explain a few things. Each application you downloaded using a particular Apple ID is tied to that ID/email address. That means whenever you try to update those apps from App Store, it will still ask for the old Apple ID/email regardless of what ID you signed on your iPhone now. So what you want to do is, just delete those application that needed update and redownload them using your new or non-disabled ID/email.

Also, Apple usually disables the App Store part of ID if they notice any issues with payment method on your account, like invalid card, refunds etc. You will still be able to sign in and make changes to the account, but you will not be able to use App Store and iTunes Store part.

Go to Settings > iTunes & App Store. Then tap the ID and tap Sign out. Then sign in to a working ID.

Remember, you have to create a brand new Apple ID (not change the ID of old one) and then sign in to it on iPhone. Then delete those apps and download a fresh version from App Store.

You can create a new Apple ID from here if you have not already done (you have to use a different email to create new ID) --> https://appleid.apple.com/account

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I had no idea. Thank you so much! I will try that now & let you know.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

You're most welcome ! If you have any difficulty, please let me know and I will continue to help you

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

Hi there, How is it going ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not yet. I'm erasing all of the apps. The Apple Store is one of them that needs updating and doesn't have any options except the update tab
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

You can't erase App Store as it is part of the iOS software. You only need to erase the updates that requires updates.

Remember, when you erase, all the data inside the app will also be deleted.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I understand that -- I didn't explain it well. The Apple Store has no content in it except for the Update tab.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

App Store will only be updated when you update the main iOS from Settings > General > Software Updates.

Before updating the iOS, make sure you turn off Find My iPhone option from Settings > iCloud. DO NOT update iPhone (from Settings > General) without signing out from iCloud. So you won't have any activation issues.

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

If nothing is displaying on App Store (doesn't matter when you use a ID or not), that means something is wrong with the iOS system. You may need to restore a fresh iOS software from computer, but try a iOS update first.

You can also reset All Settings. Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings. This will reset some settings like ID, WiFi etc. So make sure you sign in to WiFI network after reset.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I turned the phone off & on, and the data in the Apple Store was restored. I went into the Apple Store to download a previous app and it said my ID had been disabled again.
I'm contemplating throwing this phone out of the window.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

How many IDs do you have ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just one.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

Do you have another email account ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
but it's only for work. The phone about to go through the window is my personal phone. I've never mixed the two.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

There is one direct way to check if the issue is with the phone or with the ID.

I want you to create a new email account (just for creating a new Apple ID). Go to this website on your computer and create a new Gmail account --> https://accounts.google.com/SignUp?hl=en

After creating a Gmail account, then go to this website --> https://appleid.apple.com/account

Then create a brand new Apple ID with the Gmail account you created. Then on your iPhone, go to Settings > iTunes & App Store. Tap on your old ID and tap Sign Out. Then open App Store, download a new Appe (sign in with new ID). Does it work ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I really appreciate your help. I'm at work and need to go to a meeting but I will work on this later or tomorrow. Thank you very much.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

No problem. This question will not be closed, so you can get back to me any time you want.

Best Regards,