Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I have edited a movie in iMovie, but when I go to share it,

Customer Question

I have edited a movie in iMovie, but when I go to share it, the share menu is all greyed out. I have tried closing and re-opening iMovie, I have restarted my computer. I even deleted iMovie and reinstalled the app. Nothing works. I then decided to load my files onto another mac computer and re edit the whole thing again, but before I started fully editing, I dragged some media files in the project part, and then clicked share, and they are STILL greyed out. On a whole other computer. I then imported a different media file, and dragged that down and clicked share, and they were NOT greyed out. So now I'm wondering what is wrong with my file? It was video footage, filmed on my canon camera and its a .mov file, however it does say QT Movie in the "type" column. I have uploaded files from this camera and SD card multiple times and have never had this problem. PLEASE HELP!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bruce Wilner replied 1 month ago.

Hi. I will try to help you with this.

There are two possibilities.

First, have you actually created a project? If you have clips drag/copied from an event or photos drag/copied from the photo browser, you have to create a project and save your work as such before you will be able to share it, that is, before the share tab will appear ungrayed.

If you have created a project and the tab is still grayed, this is a known bug. Try renaming the project and saving it afresh. This should ungray the share tab.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
project has been created and media has been dragged and edited fully. Renaming and Saving it does not change anything. As I mentioned, this also happened on a different mac altogether, with the same video files, however, when using different video files, I was able to share and export. So I know it has to be something to do with these specific video files. I just don't know what and that's where I need some direction. Could they be corrupted for some reason??

I can't tell you without seeing the files. The fact is that, if you have published a project, and you are unable to share, this is a known bug with Mac. Apple Care suggests creating a new library.(Have you upgraded OS versions recently?) If that fails, the only possibility is that one or more of your files are corrupted, which could be for any number of reasons.