Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

I am typing my 10 page research paper and Word just stopped

Customer Question

I am typing my 10 page research paper and Word just stopped working... I am scared its going to delete my paper! I am getting that beach ball but only on Word...
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?
Customer: How do I find that out? My Mac automatically updates to the next operating system
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Microsoft Word updated like 2 days ago
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: None! I am too scared to loose my paper
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, just my Word is frozen And it literally has my life on it right now.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

If it is frozen,then I'm sorry you have to force quit it. There is no other way to unfreeze it and no way to save the document now. But if the Auto recovery functions is turned on, then Word will recover and open the document automatically next time you open Word. Press Command, Option and Esc keys and this will bring Force Quit. Select Word, Force quit and open it. Does it open the document ?

If not, then check the Autorecovery folder. In Finder, click on Go menu and select Home. Then open Documents folder. Open Microsoft folder and open Auto recovery folder. If you see any files there, then rename the files (to rename, select the file and press return key to bring the selection on name) and add .docx or .doc at the end of the file name and then open it with Word. Do you see your document ?

There is also one more place to check.If you are lucky, you may find a backup in here. In Finder, hold down Option key, click on Go menu and select Library. From Library, Open Application Support folder, open Microsoft, open Office folder. Open Office Autorecovery folder and do you see them there ?

If not, then it is too late now. There is no other way to get it back if it is not in that folder. I know you are looking for a way to get it back, but the fact is, it is gone. Apologies for the bad news.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask. Let me know the results please.